Days 117 to 126 - Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
July 31st 2015
Published: July 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Darwin. It is a laid back place, mostly friendly and people seem to have time to relax. We didn't see anyone in a big rush all the time we were here....although the heat may have something to do with that! Seriously warm - of course, mid 30's every day and then down to low 20's overnight.

We visited quite a few locations around and in Darwin City. Of these, probably the Darwin Botanic Gardens and East Point were our favourites. The Botanic Gardens has a nice coffee shop, trees, birds and other stuff to look at. We went there regularly. East Point is a recreation area not far from town with water (and sunset) views. It also has the WW2 museum which we found very interesting. One of the many highlights of the WW2 museum was to see Les Hiddins' (Bushtucker man) Landrover.

In between, we visited a few different places. At MAGNT (Museum and Art Gallery of NT) we saw Sweetheart, a five metre (stuffed) croc and the Cyclone Tracy exhibition as well as the maritime exhibition. At Aquascene we saw lots of fish being fed. WW2 was the theme of another place we visited; the underground fuel tanks built in to the hills under the city. These tanks were built at great cost after the first bombing of Darwin but were used with little success and abandoned soon after the war. Fifty years later, they were made safe (at great cost I guess) and now are a tourist attraction with lots of photos and memorabilia of WW2.

We also arranged a service on the bus and did some minor repairs with varying success.

We copied the locals while we were here having lunch in the mid-afternoon and only starting dinner preparations once the sun had set and sometimes quite late. We ate out at various restaurants and used the BBQ's at East Point as well.

On our last evening in Darwin we went to the ampitheatre (next to the Botanic Gardens) to hear the Darwin Symphony Orchestra team up with the Zep Boys (an Adelaide band that does covers of Led Zeppelin). They started with Kashmir (a favourite) and played all of the great songs finishing with Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and then Whole Lotta Love as the encore. Fabulous!

With four months down, we headed out of Darwin with the realisation
Botanic GardensBotanic GardensBotanic Gardens

Huge trees and plenty of space for yoga
that all roads headed towards home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Botanic GardensBotanic Gardens
Botanic Gardens

A lovely palm grove
Mindil BeachMindil Beach
Mindil Beach

From the lookout on the path to MAGNT
Museum and Art Gallery of NTMuseum and Art Gallery of NT
Museum and Art Gallery of NT

Gaff rigged Ketch in Maritime Exhibition
East Point viewEast Point view
East Point view

view towards MAGNT (left) and part of the city
Tree by nightTree by night
Tree by night

This was our awning in the caravan park!!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb