Day Twenty Nine


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
October 12th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rob slept in and Bron, Jack and Em were out the tent door by 20 past 7 and it was already 28 degrees. We headed to the small suburb of Parap for their weekly Saturday morning market. It was a small shopping strip, similar to the likes of Elwood village. Running down the centre were brightly coloured stalls. There was the most amazing fruit and veg - 3 mangoes for $1. It was apparent that a lot of locals did their weekly shop there. Asian stalls were creating mouth watering treats in front of our eyes, you can't get much fresher than that! We each had a freshly squeezed juice, which were magnificent and then meandered our way throughout the stalls. There was clothing, souvenirs, amazing art and craft and the flower stalls were incredible. I wish I'd taken my camera because you had to see them to believe them. We are heading to Mindel on Sunday, hopefully there'll be similar flowers and I'll remember my camera. It was a wonderful experience and we're all glad we got up early and took the plunge.

Jacqui now...We arranged to meet up with Linda Hunt and her family at the water park at 10, so that the girls could have a good catch up and so that the kids could experience the water park once more. It was lovely to see Linda, Darren, Millie and Eva. They all look really well. Eva has grown taller and lost a few teeth and Millie was her usual bubbly self. They all seem to be enjoying Darwin and it was fun to hear their perspectives on school, community and work. After swims, plays, snacks and snow cones we came back to camp, bringing Millie with us. Lunch and a swim and back in the car to head into Darwin for fish feeding. Quite a bizzare activity in Darwin Harbour where you take pieces of bread into the water and feed it to milk fish, cat fish, bat fish, and some that looked like Dory from Nemo. The whole thing was run by a fish woman Nazi who told you off if you took more than two pieces of bread at the one time. The fish were very keen on the bread and would take it out of your hand. It was a peaceful thing to stand with them. Joe and Emma enjoyed touching the fishes' backs. Later the fish woman Nazi fed the barramundi and the cat fish in the mangrove pond and it was interesting to hear the special 'popping' sound that barra make when they are feeding. Linda and Eva met us at the fish feeding and they took Millie home with them. Ruby loved catching up with her 'old' friend.

"Not another bbq" for tea, Ruby cries. Champagne courtesy of Bron. She even bought my favourite Taltarni. Our last night. Champagne straight to heads, saved by a swim, cooled off and bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



12th October 2008

did you check for crocs before you got in all that water??

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb