Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
February 8th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SweetheartSweetheartSweetheart

Sweetheart was a big croc (about 6m) that terrorised fisherman in small boats in the 70s. Welcome to Darwin!
Well after 5 years away I returned to Darwin for the first time in almost 5 years. It was great to be back. Whilst there were a few new buildings, nothing really had changed.

I spent 20 years of my life here. We moved here from Christchurch after Cyclone Tracey destroyed the town on Christmas Day, 1974. There was plenty of work in Darwin at the time, as there is when a whole city has been destroyed!

I hated Darwin with a passion when I first arrived. It was bloody hot and we lived in a caravan for 2 years. Power cuts were frequent and trucks came round at sunset to spray for mosquitoes. Very, very different to the life we had in Christchurch.

The constant factor of life in Darwin is the heat. It is something you never really get used to do, you just learn to deal with it. We have two seasons - the Wet and Dry. Which means it is either hot and raining or hot and not raining. The best months of the year are May, June & July, when the weather is fantastic! The humidity disappears and it is very pleasant.

But unfortunately the other 9 months of the year are very, very hot and the humidity is unbelievable. Our footy season is played during this time (from October to March) and I have fond memories of running around in 34 degree heat with humidity in the 90s! The fittest bloke on the ground was the waterboy.

Anyway, it was good to be back in Darwin but I didn't feel that I was back home. Life moves on and my home is definitely Melbourne.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bombing of DarwinBombing of Darwin
Bombing of Darwin

Darwin was heavily bombed by the Japanese in 1942
Bus stopBus stop
Bus stop

do the bus stop...
CasuarinaCasuarina
Casuarina

Ahhh, aircon!
Casuarina 2Casuarina 2
Casuarina 2

Ahhh, aircon!
Cullen BayCullen Bay
Cullen Bay

Darwin's answer to the Gold Coast!
Cullen Bay 2Cullen Bay 2
Cullen Bay 2

Darwin\'s answer to the Gold Coast!
Cullen Bay 3Cullen Bay 3
Cullen Bay 3

Darwin\\\'s answer to the Gold Coast!
Cyclone TraceyCyclone Tracey
Cyclone Tracey

an exhibit from the Museum
Darwin CentralDarwin Central
Darwin Central

my hotel - too hot to stay at home!


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb