Learning about Typhoons


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
September 4th 2004
Published: September 4th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We spent the first night in Darwin (pronounce Dah-win) drinking with our traveling companions. Free jugs of beer kept landing on our table and the beer drinking masses (so everyone but me) happily consumed it. After drinking like an Aussie all night, Rachel and i headed back, happy to sleep in a real bed!

In the morning we went exploring... down to the beach. Darwin would be an excellent resort city if everything that lived in the ocean around there didn't kill you. Between the box jellyfish and the sharks, the water (and thus the beach) is a no go, or just a place to view from a far. In the afternoon we headed out to the museum and the beach (for the view of course). The best part of the musuem was on the typhoon which destroyed Darwin in 1974. It documented the before, after and rebuild really well, with aeral photos and everything. The neatest part was a black room where they were playing a tape of the sounds of the city being destroyed by the typhoon. Creapy, but neat.
After that it was down to the beach to play cards, and then dinner with the travel mates.
took a 1 am flight to Brissy...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb