Darwin city and my journey to win a writing competition


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
June 5th 2019
Published: June 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Gate to Kakadu National ParkGate to Kakadu National ParkGate to Kakadu National Park

Kakadu National Park is a famous World Heritage site which is located 171km away from Darwin city. Aboriginal rock paintings, dating to prehistoric times, can be viewed at this place.
Four years ago, in September 2015, I travelled alone for six days to Darwin, which is the capital city of the Northern Territory. It was my last destination in Australia and I haven't seen any new places since then. This trip was very special to me as it inspired me to write a paragraph in my travel blog about Australia, and enabled me to win a writing contest on Harmony Day at TAFE.

Darwin is the smallest and most northerly of the Australian capital cities. The modern city of Darwin is located on the traditional land of the Larrakia people who continue to live in the city and surrounding country today. The Larrakia maintain ongoing spiritual and cultural practices linking their people to the land. There are four other Aboriginal groups who traded and maintained social and cultural ties with the Larrakia.

The CBD and surrounding area was named “Port Darwin” by Commander Wickham and Lieutenant Stokes while on board the survey ship Beagle in 1839. The name was in honour of Charles Darwin, the British naturalist who had sailed with them on the second expedition of the Beagle in 1836.

During my visit to the city, I walked to many places, for example, the waterfront where people swam in a swimming pool next to the beach because of crocodiles in the sea, the WWII oil storage tunnels, and the Memorial Park where I found an interesting sign (photo No. 9). This turned out to be a very important historical site, and later I used information of this place for my winning blog. I also visited the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory, and the market at Mindil Beach at sunset. There were so many fascinating things to learn about in this city and I always found something interesting beyond my expectations.

I booked a one day tour to Kakadu National Park through my hostel (YHA). The tour cost AU$240 at that time. A local tour guide picked me up at 6am and we returned to the city at 7pm. We spent 13 hours on this tour because it took 3 hours to travel from Darwin to the park (171km). It was a really good tour. The tour guide was a driver as well and she was very friendly. We went to Ubirr (rock art galleries), Bowali (museum), and then cruised Mary river wetlands. I
At the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern TerritoryAt the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern TerritoryAt the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory

I took a bus to see this museum then visited Mindil beach market at sunset.
was surprised to see so many lily flowers along the river. I also saw some crocodiles hiding behind trees or under water. To see more crocodiles, tourists would choose a crocodile jumping tour where they could feed crocodiles with pieces of meat and watch them leaping up for food.

Kakadu National Park is a must-see place when visiting Darwin. It is a World Heritage site and famous for Aboriginal rock paintings, dating from 5,000 to 12,000 years ago (according to the tour guide, the Aborigines inhabited this place 60,000 years ago). Walking around Ubirr and seeing one of the finest collections of rock art in the world, as well as looking over the Spiritual Land of the Aborigines (Arnhem Land), were the highlights of the tour. It was great to learn about the art and its meaning for Aboriginal people. Traditional paintings and the stories they illustrate are part of an unwritten library of their knowledge and spiritual beliefs.

Below is my travel blog about Australia which brought me a winning prize. Different forms of genre were encouraged and I chose a travel blog. Students were limited to only 300 words and must include this sentence “Through my
My selfie of the Aboriginal Spiritual Land (Arnhem Land)My selfie of the Aboriginal Spiritual Land (Arnhem Land)My selfie of the Aboriginal Spiritual Land (Arnhem Land)

I am standing on a rock in Ubirr, Kakadu National Park. Far away in the background is the Spiritual Land of the Aborigines which tourists are not allowed to visit.
eyes, Australia is…”. I would like to thank all the people who have supported me on the journey to improve my English. I hope you enjoy reading this blog.


MY FAVOURITE PLACES IN AUSTRALIA



My blog is about some experiences and impressions from my travels around Australia. Through my eyes, Australia is one of the most beautiful countries on Earth. What I love about Australia is the picturesque landscapes, interesting history and kind people. Over the past few years, I have been to five states and two territories. I have so many great memories about every place that I have been to.

Australian landscapes impressed me most of all. Tasmania is still the most beautiful state that I have visited. Weaving through winding roads, passing by expansive sandy beaches and through forests, I saw mountain ranges, captivating national parks, vineyards, and beautifully preserved colonial towns. Such magnificent places like Coles Bay, the horse-shoe shaped beach of Wineglass Bay, and the bottle neck between two bays on Bruny Island just blew my mind.

Darwin is another favourite destination. While walking through the Memorial Park, I was touched when I stopped to read a sign detailing its history. It was the place where the indigenous Larrakia people watched the first explorers sail into this fantastic harbour. It witnessed the first Japanese bomb that fell on Australian soil on the 9th of February 1942, then Cyclone Tracy which swept through the city on Christmas Day 1974. I also admired the incredible art work carved on the rocks by the Aboriginals thousands of years ago at Kakadu National Park.

I’ve always loved Sydney Harbour. It looks so magical at sunset, reminiscent of a fairy tale. Watching the fireworks with two million other people on New Year's Eve 2013 and walking down 900 steps in the Blue Mountains were other highlights.

In Brisbane, volunteering at a local hospital and delivering soft toys to local disadvantaged children before Christmas have left an indelible mark on my heart.

When I look back at what I have seen in this country, I am amazed by so many extraordinary landscapes and historical places. Australia is such an amazing country and there are still many hidden gems somewhere that I would like to discover.

Thành phố Darwin và công viên quốc gia Kakadu - tháng 9/2015

Cách đây 4 năm, vào tháng 9/2015, tôi đi du lịch một mình trong vòng 6 ngày đến thành phố Darwin. Đây là thủ phủ của vùng lãnh thổ phía bắc (nước Úc có 6 bang và 2 vùng lãnh thổ), cũng là thủ phủ nhỏ nhất và xa nhất về phía bắc của nước Úc. Đây là điểm đến cuối cùng của tôi ở Úc và kể từ đó thì tôi không đi thăm thêm địa danh nào nữa. Chuyến đi này rất đặc biệt với tôi, vì những trải nghiệm và cảm xúc ở đây gợi cảm hứng cho tôi viết một đoạn trong blog du lịch mà đã giúp tôi giành chiến thắng trong cuộc thi viết về nước Úc tại trường TAFE trong Ngày quốc tế.

Darwin là một thành phố đặc biệt. Thành phố này được đặt tên theo nhà khoa học người Anh Charles Darwin vào năm 1839. Nếu nhìn trên bản đồ thì khá gần với đảo Bali. Từ Brisbane bay đến Darwin mất tận 5 tiếng đồng hồ, bay qua đêm. Thời tiết ở đây khá khắc nghiệt vào mùa mưa, trời có thể mưa suốt mấy tháng liền, nóng và ẩm ướt. Từ tháng
At the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern TerritoryAt the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern TerritoryAt the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory

This famous crocodile was given name "Sweetheart".
4 đến tháng 10 là khoảng thời gian thích hợp nhất để đi du lịch vì là mùa khô. Khi tôi đến đây vào tháng 9, thời tiết rất dễ chịu, nhưng khi đó cũng là cuối mùa khô. Vùng đất này gắn liền với những người thổ dân Larrakia, ngoài ra còn có 4 nhóm thổ dân khác. Ngay tại Darwin cũng có thể thấy những nhóm thổ dân túm tụm hoặc đi quanh thành phố. Họ nói ngôn ngữ riêng của mình. Có một vài tour đưa khách du lịch đến các vùng đất lịch sử của thổ dân Úc và tôi đã đăng kí đi một tour như vậy.

Trong những ngày ở Darwin, tôi đi bộ vòng quanh thành phố. Mỗi ngày là một trải nghiệm thú vị vì luôn có một điều mới mẻ nào đó. Ra khu vực gần biển thì thấy mọi người bơi trong một bể bơi cạnh biển. Hóa ra là ở đây có rất nhiều cá sấu nước mặn nên không thể tắm ở bãi biển được. Đang đi lang thang thì tôi nhìn thấy công viên tưởng niệm những người đã hy sinh vì thành phố này. Tình cờ tôi đọc những dòng chữ trên một tấm biển (hình số 9). Hóa ra nơi này là một địa danh lịch sử quan trọng và tôi đã dùng thông tin trên tấm biển này cho bài dự thi viết về nước Úc. Đây chính là nơi những người thổ dân Larrakia nhìn những chiếc thuyền buồm của người châu Âu tiến vào cảng. Đây chính là nơi những quả bom đầu tiên của phát xít Nhật rơi trên mảnh đất Úc vào ngày 9/2/1942. Đây chính là nơi cơn bão Tracy càn quét thành phố vào Giáng sinh năm 1974. Đây cũng chính là nơi những người dân và người lính đã ngã xuống để bảo vệ thành phố này. Những dòng chữ đầy cảm xúc này đã giúp cho bài dự thi của tôi thêm ấn tượng.

Ngoài ra, tôi cũng đến thăm một đường hầm lưu trữ dầu trong Thế chiến II, những phần sót lại của tòa nhà thị chính cũ, vào bên trong nhà thờ Christ với kiến trúc độc đáo, thăm quan Bảo tàng nghệ thuật và ra bãi biển Mindil vào chiều chủ nhật để thăm một khu chợ, nơi có biểu
At the Memorial Park in Darwin cityAt the Memorial Park in Darwin cityAt the Memorial Park in Darwin city

I used touching words on this sign for my winning blog.
diễn âm nhạc và các gian hàng bán đồ ăn. Một người thổ dân Úc thổi nhạc cụ truyền thống của họ là những ống dài gọi là "didgeridoo". Vì Darwin khá nhỏ nên việc đi lại rất dễ dàng. Phần lớn thời gian tôi đi bộ, chỉ một lần duy nhất đi xe bus.

Ngày quan trọng nhất của tôi ở Darwin là ngày tôi đi thăm công viên quốc gia Kakadu, cách Darwin 171km. Đây là di sản thế giới và là nơi lưu giữ những dấu tích quan trọng của thổ dân Úc, cũng là vùng đất linh thiêng của họ. Tôi đặt tour một ngày qua YHA với giá 240 đô la Úc. Hướng dẫn viên đón tôi lúc 6 giờ sáng và đưa khách về thành phố vào 7 giờ tối. Tour kéo dài 13 tiếng đồng hồ vì thời gian đi từ Darwin đến công viên Kakadu là 3 tiếng đồng hồ. Bên Úc, hướng dẫn viên kiêm luôn lái xe, nên họ vừa phải lái xe, vừa phải nói qua micro liên tục. Tôi rất thích cô hướng dẫn viên này nên khi kết thúc tour tôi tặng cho cô một món
Cahills crossing, Kakadu National Park (tourists can't come into this area)Cahills crossing, Kakadu National Park (tourists can't come into this area)Cahills crossing, Kakadu National Park (tourists can't come into this area)

The East Alligator River forms part of the boundary between Kakadu National Park and Arnhem Land, which has been recognised as Aboriginal Land since 1931. A border where permits are needed to enter are unusual experience for many Australians. However, this procedure ensures the privacy of the many communities in Arnhem Land.
quà nhỏ của Việt Nam. Cô rất cảm động và nói là trong nhiều năm làm tour guide chưa bao giờ nhận được quà như vậy.

Điểm nhấn của tour này là Ubirr, nơi có những hình vẽ trên đá của thổ dân Úc từ cách đây 5.000 đến 12.000 năm trước. Theo lời cô hướng dẫn viên thì thổ dân Úc sổng ở vùng đất này từ 60.000 năm trước. Những hình vẽ đơn sơ này thể hiện thế giới quan và niềm tin tín ngưỡng của thổ dân Úc. Leo lên những tảng đá cao, chúng tôi nhìn về vùng đất linh thiêng Arnhem của họ. Khách du lịch không được đặt chân đến khu vực này.

Buổi chiều, chúng tôi đến thăm bảo tàng Bowali rồi đi thuyền trên sông Mary. Ở đây có nhiều hoa súng nên rất đẹp. Đó đây dưới mặt nước hoặc nấp sau những bụi cây là những con cá sấu. Nếu muốn nhìn thấy nhiều cá sấu hơn thì du khách có thể đặt tour nửa ngày ra một nhánh sông, rồi cho cá sấu ăn và nhìn cá sấu nhảy lên trước mũi thuyền.

Trong phần tiếng
Ubirr, Kakadu National ParkUbirr, Kakadu National ParkUbirr, Kakadu National Park

We are climbing up the rock to see the view of Arnhem Land (the Spiritual Land of the Aborigines).
Anh viết ở trên có blog du lịch mà nhờ đó tôi đã giành chiến thắng trong cuộc thi viết về nước Úc. Bài viết có thể dưới bất kì dạng nào nên tôi chọn blog du lịch. Mỗi sinh viên chỉ được giới hạn viết 300 từ. Tôi chọn chủ đề về những điểm đến yêu thích của tôi ở nước Úc. Tôi có thể dễ dàng viết dài hơn 300 chữ, nhưng viết ngắn mà hay mới thực sự rất khó. Tôi đã chọn 4 địa danh là Tasmania, Darwin, cảng Sydney và Brisbane. Đây là một trải nghiệm rất thú vị và tôi rất biết ơn những người đã luôn hỗ trợ cho tôi trong hành trình nâng cao tiếng Anh của mình.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Tour guide on my one day tour to Kakadu National ParkTour guide on my one day tour to Kakadu National Park
Tour guide on my one day tour to Kakadu National Park

Tour guides in Australia have to drive and talk at the same time.
Crocodile egg (cruising Mary river)Crocodile egg (cruising Mary river)
Crocodile egg (cruising Mary river)

The boat operator showed us a crocodile egg after we finished our tour.


5th June 2019

western digital data recovery chennai
very nice posting

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb