First entry ever! Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin » City of Darwin
January 14th 2011
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Crocodiles



So we have arrived in Darwin, after day of travel which was longer than expected (thanks Tiger). We are staying with Bill and Amina in a house surrounded by palm trees not far from the beach. Of course, going in the sea is only for the brave, although as Bill says, there are hardly any crocodiles. There are palm trees, ginger, limes and cassava in the garden, and it is 30 degrees and 75%!h(MISSING)umidity. Nathan is fine with this temperature, so long as he is immobile under a fan.

Night market last night, with only a couple of stalls - but we still picked up some great food goodies including turnip and coriander sweets, and a good green paw paw salad (two chillis). Fried bananas and coconut balls also great.

Today we got as far as the CBD. We passed up the crocodile experience, but did check out the crock leather shop. A handbag was $5k, although I think they make the money with the $20 wristbands (which I was tempted by). A pair of boots would be around $10k apparently, but they didn't even bother to stock them. Amina's cousin has a croc in the back yard, and it seems like a pretty good money making option to me!

Lunch was Indonesian, and great. Fried rice, preserved beef - kind of dried and spicy with potatoes - curried egg. However, once again have forgotten to take a picture!

Flying to Singapore tomorrow night. Might hit the beach tonight with a slab of beer, home made prok dumplings are on the menu!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb