G'day mate!


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

As you can see, despite having only been in Oz for 4 days, I am already picking up the lingo.

Well here we are in Darwin. Having been told by a couple of guys in Singapore that people only go to Darwin when they're on the run from the police or want to disappear, we are pleasantly surprised to find that Darwin is quite small and dull, and doesn't appear to be particularly infested with dangerous escapees... The main danger appears to be to out piggy banks - Australia is seriously expensive. We have been spoilt recently I guess with food being ridiculously cheap everywhere we've been, but the prospect of daily living costs here is plain scary!!!

Our flight from Singapore was slightly more exciting than we might have liked, with a combination of us cutting it fine to get across Singapore to the airport, and a particularly vicious storm over Darwin while we were trying to land. We had to abort our first landing, then we did lots of loops round to wait for the storm to pass. This made a very pretty pattern on the flight map screen, but you couldn't help but wonder how long we had until the petrol ran out. Eventually we made it down by approaching from a different direction, but there was waaaay to much lightening and cloud for my liking!

It turns out that we have visited the Northern Territories at a slightly interesting time, as nearby Katherine has been evacuated and severely flooded. We have been having dilemmas over whether to do a tour to Kakadu National Park, as a lot of it is closed. We have been told by lots of people that it is really amazing and a real highlight of their time in Australia, so we were keen despite the problems. Also, a little bit of trivia for you - this is where Crocodile Dundee was filmed!!! We have decided to go for it & have been reassured that it is really big, and there is still lots of interesting stuff to see. We are off there tomorrow morning and back on tuesday night. I hope there aren't any scary snakes, spiders, crocodiles etc...

Just a short one today... More on return from Kakadu...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb