The Only Good Snake is a Dead Snake


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Childrens PythonChildrens PythonChildrens Python

Caroline with the Childrens Python
DAY 252


Again after a leisurely start to the day, we think about getting a move on to go into Darwin, before we go I said to Caroline that it would be nice to speak to Helen on our favourite farm in Nangus to see how Wally “The professional sheep dog” is getting on after his operation, and also to see how Helen, Robert and the farm are doing.

We Skype out to Helen and she picks up, we are delighted and she tells us all the news about the farm, the spray unit is working well, Robert is fine and has gone off to the sheep sales very early this morning, it was about 6 degree’s there today and a fog lay over the ground.

Helen said it was all very green, and it was a bit different to when we had been there, as I have said before it was one of the most satisfying times of my life, and I truly enjoyed every minute, even though I found it hard work.

Wally “The professional sheep dog” or that’s what Caroline and me believe he would have on his doggy business cards, was doing OK, Helen said he was on the porch on a pillow, we ask if the other dogs want to come to see him but she says she is trying to keep them all away as they only want to play, and that is not good for him.

Wally is just a great dog, I was just awe struck when we had the pleasure of being on the sheep farm and to watch him work, it was not very often that Robert used to shout at Wally as he was very good at what he did, and I used to love them being on the back of the Ute, when we were off sorting out the sheep.

Wally has actually burst a ligament and has his whole leg in plaster for about 10 weeks, the farm will be shearing the next batch of sheep soon and Wally is well and truly out of action, he will be for a while.

It was great to speak to Helen, hearing her voice just so transported me back there.

With the call finished we head in to Darwin, I am getting really cheesed off with the bloke in Camera House,
Carpet PythonCarpet PythonCarpet Python

This Fella had 5 Pythons with him in Darwin CBD, we just could not resist having a hold.
not phoning back when he said he would and I generally get the feeling that he is now avoiding our calls, so the only thing to do is drop in on him. We park the truck in the multi story and walk across town, it’s just before lunch time and a little surprise visit may just shake the situation up a bit.

We stride in to the shop, he is on the phone and his face is a picture. He vanishes from site with the phone attached to his ear and then re appears amazingly with the news that “Canon” has just e-mailed him with the quote for the lens, $268.00 bucks.

We have a diagnosis and a cost for the repair of my camera lens, it is a mere $268.00, a small price to pay to have it up and running and an even smaller price than the purchase of a new one. The other thing to consider if I purchased a new one then I may get the same problem, it is apparent that the camera shop has sent in 4 lenses with this problem.

“Yep fine do it” I said, Caroline hadn’t even opened
Childrens PythonChildrens PythonChildrens Python

Me holding this Gorgeous Childrens Python
her mouth yet, the guy starts to speak then all the bull sh*t starts to flow.

We try to get this unique reference number out of him so we can track the lens ourselves on the canon web site, but he is reluctant to give it to us as he tries to tell us it is the Camera House account, but as soon as he gets notification of when the lens will be ready he will notify us.

We go and have a bite to eat in the town centre, then as all the chores are done, we head to the truck to get out of town.

There is a fella in the High street with a couple of youngish girls and they are all holding snakes, a quite large one around the fella’s neck and also one of the girls has a large snake in her arms like a baby, we start talking to this guy and he asked if we would like to hold any of the snakes, yes please, and I am given a Children’s Python to hold to start with, then Caroline takes it off me and she is giving it a cuddle,
Water PythonWater PythonWater Python

Me holding a Water Python (AKA) Rainbow Serpant, we you took it out in to the bright sunshine you could see its beautiful colours
oo er or is the Python giving Caroline a cuddle, not sure which.

I wander off and start talking to the young girls, I find out that they are not with this bloke but where just wandering past when this fella asked the same question, “Would you like to hold my snake” sorry that’s just my weird sense of humour.

This young girl gave me the Water Python, and when you take it out in to the bight sunlight the colours change, it is quite fantastic, they are also called the Rainbow serpent, it is beautiful.

They are such beautiful inquisitive creatures, though I may not say that if an Eastern Brown or a Death Adder was being aggressive towards us

Whilst I was holding the Water Python a “little old lady” walked passed me, she looked at me, shuddered and said the “only good snake is a dead snake”, I laughed out of being polite, and she wandered off. There was also a teenage boy who wandered past, with his friend, one of them wanted to hold the snake, the other one freaked out and said he is petrified so ran off.

A sad analogy of peoples perceptions of snakes, I was delighted this guy had brought the creatures in to town to try to educate people so their perception may change, and instead of trying to kill one the next time they come into contact with a snake, they may not want to attack it with a shovel but either call a “snake man” to come and remove it carefully or just give it a wide birth if it is safe to do so.

On our travels so far we have seen five snakes, an Eastern Brown, blog day 101 “The Road to Brindabella”, the Python, Blog day 157 “Xing the Line” and the white lipped snake in Tasmania, not to mention the Western Brown (we think) recently, which we never got a picture of, and the dead Tiger snake we saw on Kangaroo island. One that we forgot to mention but for the reminder from Jodie (Travelin Trueys) the tiny Orange Naped Snake we saw at Middle Lagoon, blog day 206 "First Day of Winter, following the Sun. I certainly would not ever consider hurting one of the gorgeous creatures out of fear of them.

We thank this guy for letting us hold his snake, and off we go back to the coolness of the car park and the truck.

On our way back to Howard spring we pop is to Darwin Airport as we have seen eight F18 fighters buzzing around and we thought we may get to see them come in to land or alternatively take off, but unfortunately all we saw was the military refuelling jet take off.

Getting back to camp we got on to finishing the blog for 86, Caroline went and got a shower, and we sat around in the sun.

We had hung the sleeping bags out and put the mattress outside earlier to give them an airing, we put them back on the trailer ready for bed tonight.

Caroline did some Brain Training and tells me here Brain age improved to 52 this afternoon. I am sure that some of it is getting used to the game, she tells me it may actually have been a little bit better if the Nintendo could recognise some of the letters that she was writing, in the word memory test, it would not recognise the letters so fingers crossed for next
Water PythonWater PythonWater Python

I think this is a lovely picture of Caroline holding the Water Python
time.

Our plan tonight was to go out and sit at the end of Darwin’s runway and watch the Military aircraft play, as they have been out every night this week. I said to Caroline lets see them take off from our camp site then we know they are up, then we will take sandwiches down to the viewing area and we can wait until they come in to refuel.

You know how things never go to plan, well we recon the Pilots must have gone out in to Darwin to play Bingo as there was not a single aircraft In the sky’s other than normal civilian planes, so we ate our pre prepared cut lunch and played cards again for the rest of the evening.

We had a tough game this evening, it took me 15 games to beat Caroline, she does put up a good fight, she was on a score of two for about the last 7 hands and was hanging on until she finally succumbed and I managed to beat her by 1 point.

Because it was such a good game, it was well after 10.00 when we went to bed.

Goodnight bloggers



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

I'm OffI'm Off
I'm Off

The Lady who Caroline was talking to had a larger Water Python as a pet called Bitch
Bizarre SignBizarre Sign
Bizarre Sign

The sign on top was for giving up smoking whilst the one below was for the Nicotine shops selling smokes and Bongs, Whatever they are
Clap SticksClap Sticks
Clap Sticks

This old Aboriginal Guy was just playing clap sticks in town for a few bucks


19th July 2009

What about the orange naped snake!
Hey I know it was minutely small but we saw that weeny liitle orange naped snake at Middle Lagoon. Hardly impressive but should be able to be counted in your tally! Hope all's great with you guys - we feel like it was another lifetime ago now that we were travelling. Reality sets in pretty quickly, after vowing to not be so busy we are as busy as ever. Talk to you soon hopefully Jode
19th July 2009

Oh! How Could We Forget?
Hi Jode thanks for the reminder, we knew there was another one!!! Poor little thing, must feel insignificant as we forgot to mention it. We were thinking of you guys back at work and school last week. In some ways it seems so long ago and in another it seems just a short time ago that we met you at Ceduna/the Nullarbor. A big part of our adventure was running alongside you guys, we had a blast. It has been quiet recently. But we are happy to kick back and rest before we head back out on the high way later this week. Take care and speak soon Caroline

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb