Days 15 and 16 in Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Jeff and Lachlan and 6 MileJeff and Lachlan and 6 MileJeff and Lachlan and 6 Mile

We meet our saviours at Kings Canyon again
We had arrived in Alice at the start of Heritage Week which meant there was plenty to see and do in addition to the usual.

Unfortunately, bus repairs were on top of the agenda for Saturday morning. Up early Saturday to get ready to see what we could do for the bus and our neighbour was someone I recognised! It was Jeff (with the HUGE 4WD that pulled us out of the bunker. We had time for a quick chat (and a photo with his eldest son Lachlan) but they had serious kms to cover and they needed to be on the road. Safe journey Jeff and family in 6 Mile (the HUGE 4WD that is named after the family engineering business)! Some success with KC electrical wiring up a new inverter for us. Thanks guys! The camera went to the local Camera Shop for assessment.

Saturday afternoon we visited the Olive Pink Botanic Garden and then went to the Overland Telegraph Station where there was an open day and market.

Sunday was planned to be a quick visit to the Royal Flying Doctor Service (Georgi's uncle had worked there for many years) but it was closed when
The Singing WireThe Singing WireThe Singing Wire

Display at the Overland Telegraph Station Open Day, Alice Springs
we got there. We had enjoyed the Botanic gardens so much (and their coffee) that we revisited to have a re-think about the revised plan for the day. We decided to check out the tourist info centre in the city to see what else we could do but Georgi could not resist a piece of art from an old aboriginal woman. We learnt that the RFDS would be open in the afternoon so we decided to visit the Araluen Cultural Precinct (Art Gallery, Natural History Museum and Aircraft Museum and other art based centres) first. I discovered stories about mammal extinction in the NT and the sad story of the Kookaburra plane. Georgi was intrigued with meteorites and the big bang. After a few hours at Araluen we reurned to the RFDS where we watched a 20 minute film on the history of the service. Exit via the museum and shop! If everyone who visited spent as much as we did they would have enough money for another new plane! I got a long sleeved shirt and Georgi was able to replace her pants that were torn at Kings Canyon.

We stopped by at the Camera Shop where Jerome had a repaired zoom lens and a new filter on it. Nice work Jerome and what a relief!

We stopped by the grave of John Flynn (the man who started the Royal Flying Doctor Service) as we headed out of Alice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Jumping Pillow at Big4 Caravan Park, AliceJumping Pillow at Big4 Caravan Park, Alice
Jumping Pillow at Big4 Caravan Park, Alice

Everyone is catered for - a top park.
Aircraft MuseumAircraft Museum
Aircraft Museum

The sad story of the Kookaburra
Aircraft MuseumAircraft Museum
Aircraft Museum

The sad story of the Kookaburra - the actual remains of the plane
Aircraft MuseumAircraft Museum
Aircraft Museum

Inside a DC10? - Georgi auditioning for a hostie job


19th April 2015

RFDS
Len, mum's brother, Uncle Keith, was also an RFDS Doctor, so you and Georgi have that in common. Plus of course Mum worked closely with the RFDS in her role with the AIM at Birdsville. x

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb