Hobourmac Outbnack Adventure


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

G'day from sunny Alice Springs!

We arrived here at lunchtime yesterday after an action packed few days along the Oodnadatta track. We set off from Leigh Creek fully stocked up and having caught up with the family having got some scarce mobile reception. Our first stop was Maree and a very relaxed set up then off to the pub for a meal on Craig after he had a nice little win on the pokies then back for more beers around the shed fire. The next morning we explored the train ruins at the old Maree station and brushed up on our Ghan Railway history which Tim was happy to help with. Then off to William Creek supposedly an easy 209kms. The first stop was to look at Lake Eyre which is totally dry at the moment but still quite an amazing sight. We did a little creative four wheel driving to get to a little mound/lookout and took some photos and watched Andrew amuse himself drawing a giant penis on the salt pan with his motorbike.



Then on to the Bubbler to have a look at the hot spring only to discover a flat tyre. We promptly set about fixing it then moved on. Unfortunately we only got about 30kms before another puncture bought us to a stand still again. Once again it was out with the repair kit and then back on under way.There was to be 4 more of these before eventually arriving at William Creek at about 2.30pm and definitely not happy Jan. We had a couple of soothing ales to soothe the anxiety and Tim sought out the publican/servo owner/tyre seller and managed to find us a better tyre so we could continue. So now we have the new spare on the back and a good 2nd hand tyre to continue.

Next day it's off to Oodnadatta another 240kms and 70kms in I had another puncture on the new tyre and this was unrepairable so a tyre change was in order. Now I am beginning to get extremely pissed off. We back off the speed and cautiously continue, me watching tyres not scenery and the road is still no better. I'd love to say that the dramas finished then but we still had another puncture this time on another tyre before we eventually limped into Oodnadatta. Luckily there was a tyre seller there and we bought another new tyre and patched the other one so fingers crossed. So a long lunch at the pink roadhouse at Oodnadatta and we decide to push on to Dalhousie Spring 179kms as Oonadatta is not particularly inviting as an overnight destination.

The road to Dalhousie is a doosey, a combination of sand, rocks and parts that resemble a moonscape which proves to be a bone shaking, back breaking, nerve racking, total crap trip, but the tyres held and we arrived in one piece hoping that the springs are worth the effort. Once the tents are up we don the cossies and walk down to the springs and are amazed to find a small lake about 250m x40m with steps leading down into the clear water, the boys are first and the noises they make indicate that it is indeed worth the effort. Sure enough the water is fantastic, 39deg and absolutely perfect. How a lake this size maintains this temp is a mystery but we are content just to enjoy, it's the perfect tonic for the weary riders and the tyre stressed Leeroy! Julie and Craig are just happy for the warm bath. The no fire rule is the only downer(apart from the flies and mosquitoes) but we crank up the gas stove much to Tims delight and make do.

Up early to beat the flies and a speedy pack up before a final dip/wash in the spring then on towards Finke and then Chambers pillar. We stop at Mt Dare to refuel after yet another horror road and realise just how remote we are, on the edge of the Simpson desert in literally the middle of Australia. On the road to Finke we cross into NT and a quick photo stop. Into Finke a dead loss of a town with nowhere to eat so we pull up on the Finke river and break out the on board supplies for lunch. Bodies, bikes and cars refuelled we continue along the Ghan track, the road was once the railway track with sleeper bolts littering the road. The ride is sandy and challenging for the bikes with a few close calls but the boys manage to stay upright and thanks to a nice little shortcut we arrive at Chambers Pillar at about 4.30pm. The boys are totally shagged but there is still tents to erect and wood to be gathered before walking the incline to watch the sunset over 'the pillar'. It's a very beautiful spot the scenery is spectacular and Andrew and I go a little overboard with the cameras.

Then back for beers and a roast dinner around another top notch fire.



The next morning it's up early for a sunrise photo session then pack up camp, walk to the pillar before back on the road to Alice Springs and a much needed shower.

We are in the Alice for about three days to restock, do some car maintenance and wash the red dirt off as best is possible. So far the trip has been all we could have hoped for. Something amazing around every corner and both challenging and enjoyable, too many laughs to mention and probably too many beers as well but what the hell we're on holidays.

Will check back in when we can, so have fun at work and we will tough it out here in the outback.

Love to all

Lee, Tim Craig, Julie and Andrew.

Advertisement



29th April 2013

Memories
Wow this bring back memories - we must have been extremely lucky to do the Oodnadatta track without any punctures! Or then again maybe we drove a lot slower than you did LOL! Sounds like a terrific adventure, enjoy!!
5th May 2013

Jealous
Hi Everyone, We are thrilled to get your updates. The adventure sounds fantastic. We are green with envy looking from the sidelines. Be safe. Thinking of you all....Best wishes for the challenges ahead...Carl & Hiroko

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb