The Australian Outback


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
November 3rd 2011
Published: November 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Australian Outback is yet another unbelievable part of this vast and diverse land. It's a living desert where the roads just go for endless miles. It's about a 3000km drive between Adelaide in South Australia up to Darwin at the top of the Northern Territory. There's a surprising amount of life out here - it's not just sand and rocks- from kangaroos and wild horses and wild camels and dingoes, to snakes and lizards and birds. There's also an abundance of pant life. When it rains, man, it POURS. Roads can be closed due to flash flooding, and rivers, which are nothing but dry sand beds for years and years, can suddenly come alive with raging flood waters. We were fortunate enough to see both sun and rain, especially in areas that it hasn't rained significantly in years. This turns the drought ridden stark wasteland into a stunning array of waterfalls and rivers. We travelled from Adelaide, after touring the Barossa Valley, up to Alice Springs (virtually in the centre of the continent), from where we could explore the region of the Outback that is known as the Red Centre. This is where Ayers Rock is located (referred to now more commonly by it's traditional Aboriginal name - Uluru), as well as Kata Tjuta (The Olgas), and Kings Canyon. A truly remarkable journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Outback petrol StationOutback petrol Station
Outback petrol Station

$3.50 a litre....cha-ching!
Outback TaxiOutback Taxi
Outback Taxi

Camel, waiting for a Jockey.
Outback CamelOutback Camel
Outback Camel

There are over 200,000 roaming wild camels in the Australian Outback. They were used for transport in the 1800's, and once they weren't required any longer, they were set free. They've since multiplied into the hundreds of thousands and wreak havoc on the territory.
Chillin' in the Todd RiverChillin' in the Todd River
Chillin' in the Todd River

Sand river bed. Only runs when there's a monsoon.


4th November 2011

What an incredible place!!! I love the reflection pics you took the best but they are all beautiful
4th November 2011
Uluru Sunset 3

Great Photos
Really nice Howard and Karen. I was there about 23 years ago and hiked through those same hills. They called them the "Olgas" then. Enjoy your trip. Where to next?
7th November 2011
Uluru around back

Camera Trick
Man Slim... you look like you lost a ton of weight. Or maybe it's just the fact that you're standing in front of Uluru. Cool slimming effect!
7th November 2011
Uluru Sunset 2

Bucket List
Glass of wine in the shadow of Uluru... check.
7th November 2011
Alice Springs Aboriginemobile

Really?
The voodoo skull wasn't enough... they had to put number 13 on the roof? And the Abos wonder why they can't catch a break.
7th November 2011
Back on the road again

Does your wife know your taking pictures of all the young looking blonds in Aussie land

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb