Darwin to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Darwin to Alice Springs



Mataranka Thermal Pools were a great stop along our venture towards the red centre. We’d initially fuelled up at Darwin – 123.1L @ 149.9c/L. We spent most of our day of travel devoted to long hours behind the steering wheel, filling up the ute’s tank again at Katherine (44L @ 155.9c/L), and again at Tennant Creek(62.4L @ 174.9c/L) – knowing this would likely be the cheapest fuel spot until Alice Springs.
We arrived at a free-camp at Bonney Well rest area after travelling 1127km’s that day. The loud cries of many dingoes could be heard throughout the night- seemingly not far from out camper.
The following day, Devils Marbles (Karlu Karlu) was amazing as the colour of rock changed from dawn to sunrise.
We continued on to Alice Springs where we first fuelled up at Shell (after the fuel light had come on around 20km’s before town) – 22.9L @ 174.9c/L.
We visited the Central Australian Aviation Museum, and the Araluen Arts Centre where we were fortunate to stumble upon some dot paintings originally by Clifford Possum. These paintings were fascinating not only for the demonstration of great art skill, but also for the dreamtime stories they told.
Heading towards the West MacDonnell Ranges, we fuelled up at Caltex-101.9L @ 166.9c/L.
Little did we know of the massive drop in temperature from up north to the cold cold red centre at night. For the first time in over a month we dug our jeans and warm winter jumpers out from the clothes cupboard, not knowing how our sleeping bags would go over the night.

This leg of the trip 1453km’s
15,603 Km’s this trip so far



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Honey Ant DreamingHoney Ant Dreaming
Honey Ant Dreaming

The U shapes in the painting represent people, while short curved lines depict digging sticks used for the honey ants. Three long lines show the paths of travel.
Rock Wallaby DreamingRock Wallaby Dreaming
Rock Wallaby Dreaming

The U shapes are seated men, and the lines represent travels of the rock wallabies as they come to drink at the water hole.
Maliyarra Cycle DreamingMaliyarra Cycle Dreaming
Maliyarra Cycle Dreaming

Large soakage water site where men's dreaming is associated with the Maliyarra cycle.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb