The Red Centre


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alice Springs! Couldn't be further from the sea if I tried!

2 days in Adelaide were spent wandering around the city centre and getting the old school tram out to Glenelg to visit the beach. Our trip started the next day when we went to Quorn to climb a masssive hill for the MOST amazing view from the top, the next day we went to see some aboriginal rock art and walked through wilipena pound, then went to see the wild and endagered yellow footed rock wallaby's 😊
Next day was up to Woomera - the old space centre where uk, usa and aus governments tried out spacerockets in the desert and then was one day completely abandoned, Coober Pedy, a strange town in the middle of nowhere where opal mining happens and everyone lives underground, we spent the night in an underground bunker.. very bizarre.
4th was on to uluru (800km drive from coober pedy!), we arrived for sunset and sipped our fizzy wine and watched the awesome rock change colour. that night we camped out under the stars in a swag.
we got up for sunruse at uluru as well which was just as if not better than sunset! we then walked around the base and went to the aboriginal cultural centre. then went over to kata tjuta (the olgas) which was incredible, you cant walk through much of it as its too sacred to the aborigianls but still, the bit you can walk through is awesome!!!
we then drove up to kings canyon for a night under the stars and then a hike through kings canyon for day 6. we got here to alice springs last night and are here for 2 days before continuing onto darwin for the next 3 days then a night in darwin and 3 days hiking and camping in kakadu..

its been an awesome few days and is set to continue in much the same way. i think im finally beginning to properly appreciate the size of australia and the extensiveness of the desert!!! we've driven the last 4 days through sand and the odd srub, its very surreal journeying the length of england and seeing absolutely nothing.. very bizarre.

anyway, better dash as my internet time ia about to run out... hope everything is doing well back home 😊

lots of love
xxxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb