Walkabout at the Red Centre


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
October 6th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We’re feeling hot, hot, hot! It is at least 38oc and we are slip, slap, slopping with our factor 45 and when feeling brave we use our factor 30 sunscreen.

The aboriginal culture is brought to life and meaning in this visit. Known as the Aṉangu people in this region, their indigenous culture is brought to life in their Aboriginal land of the Outback.

The lands hold a special place in the Aboriginal culture, and we started with a visit to the impressive ‘Olga’s’ (known as Kata Tjuta to the Aṉangu). It looks like something with many heads or domes and we walked through 2 of the dome heads known as Walpa Gorge.

Of course after a hard day’s sight seeing in the Outback, we had to experience the real Aussie culture with a visit to the pub (even in the middle of nowhere). After downing a few stubbies (for Dutch courage), we held our own ‘bush tucker trial’, and ate kangaroo sausages, emu sausages and crocodile burgers. Unfortunately we just lost out on the witchitee grub as these were taken by Ant and Dec for the next ‘I’m a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here!’

Up before dawn to see one of Australia’s most famous sights - Uluṟu (known more commonly as Ayer’s Rock) come to life at sunrise. We enjoyed the tranquil beauty of this most ancient rock formation. It is a very steep climb to the top with a 60% gradient for the first quarter of the climb up Uluṟu. We chose not to climb Uluṟu and respected the wishes of the Aṉangu people who ask visitors not to climb as it is revered as part of their sacred ceremonies which are based around their men’s law and women’s laws. Although not that many people are able to climb anyway because the Uluṟu climb is only available approximately 60 days a year because of a number of restrictions in effect to prevent people climbing in dangerous conditions such as very gusty weather at the top - this was in place on the day we visited. The base and Mala walks provided us with the shape of the rock and we were able to see some of their writings even after thousands of years - I doubt that our books will last as long.

Onward to the ‘red centre’ of Kings Canyon. It was like stepping into a furnace by 8 am hence the reason why we began the walk at 6 am to try and avoid the heat as we climbed up to the top of the Canyon and walked around its rim. Enabling us to see some fabulous scenery.

Although fantastic to immerse ourselves in all of this culture, we did manage to meet some of Australia’s cutest kangaroos and its most mischievous character - Emu (Rod Hull’s friend) along with some other unusual sculptures with a different type of appeal.

Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road is the next stop - stay with us for the ride!



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb