Travel Blog 30 June to 6 July(Charters Towers to Alice Springs)


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After being becalmed for 5 days at Charters Towers we have taken off with a vengeance!On Monday we headed west with stops at Richmond,Camooweal,Mt Isa, and Tennant Creek before arriving here at Alice Springs yesterday-nearly 2000 kms.Here we are in the "red centre" and have done some walks today at the Tryphena Gorge in the East McDonnell Ranges.As we headed west from CT the tiny country towns along the way were some of the highlights-we are left to scratch heads as to how they survive.Much of the driving has been on long straight roads with little to observe.We have been listening to cds along the way and are half way thru an Australian novel on cd.Wildlife has been hard to find but brolgas,emus,brumbies and wedge tail eagles have been spotted.At Camooweal we did free camping alongside the Georgina River(lagoons in fact) and found a wealth of birdlife resident including pelicans and brolgas.On the trip from Tennant Creek yest. we stopped at the "Devil's Marbles" and found the rock shapes fascinating.Tomorrow we set off without the caravan for Uluru, another 465 kms to sou west.Camping will be a bit brave as the daytime temp is in the low to mid 20s but nights go down to 3 to 5 degrees.We are getting the caravan serviced while we are away.We catch up with Graham & Di in 12 days in Darwin which is 1500kms away so more moving!Happy b/day yest. Di.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb