Australia backpacking guide: places to visit around Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
January 25th 2016
Published: January 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Australia is that spectacular mix of outback adventure and sophisticated culture, bringing to mind images of both kangaroos and the iconic Sydney Opera House. For a backpacker travelling, Sydney offers the perfect mix of Australian adventure and culture. Check out these five Sydney must see attractions and start packing your bag (especially if you're a Finding Nemo fan, P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney anyone?).




1) Sydney Opera House

While most seasoned backpackers like to go off the beaten path, some popular tourist spots are just too amazing to pass up. The famous opera house is not only an architectural masterpiece, it hosts 1,500 performances a year that showcase some of the best talent in the world.




2) Blue Mountains National Park

Sometimes you just need to get away from the fast pace of the city, and take a moment to appreciate nature's grandeur. When you're in Sydney, the perfect place to do that is the Blue Mountains. Located about an hour and a half from the city, the Blue Mountains' sweeping views and vibrant colors are well worth the time it takes to get there. If you need some suggestions for transportation, click here.




3) The Queen Victoria Building

For some glamorous shopping in a building that looks more like it should be hosting a ball, spend some time wandering around at the Queen Victoria Building. Built in the late 19th century, the building features a glass dome and over 180 stores to break your budget (or practice your self-control).




4) Sydney Tower SKYWALK

Who wouldn't want to climb the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge? It's hard to beat the height and views, but for those on a budget the Sydney Tower SKYWALK is just as great if not better. At twice the height of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and less than a quarter of the price, the SKYWALK lets you see the city from above with a glass platform and a panoramic view of Sydney. More than just a budget option, the SKYWALK is a must see on its own.




5) Bondi Beach

The famous beach, popular with both travelers and locals, offers the opportunity to do just about everything. Often hosting various events such as marathons and art shows, the beach is also a great place to just sit around and people watch. If you've been wanting to surf, there are many schools available right on the beach and if you're already a pro, just hit the waves. And of course, there's always good old-fashioned sunbathing and swimming.



It's hard to narrow down the list of must see places in Sydney, there's just too many! But for a first time visit for the travelling backpacker, these should give you a good head-start in exploring one of the most popular and diverse cities down under.

Advertisement



25th January 2016
Sydney Opera House

Nice shot
beautiful

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb