Surf Camp


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Surf Camp was the penultemate leg of our epic east coast journey. The weather was still bad but that didnt matter as we were going to get wet surfing.

We had a brief safety talk, then we were given our wetsuits and boards and then walked a short way to the beach. Before we entered the sea we stood in a large circle and went through the process of surfing and the technique that we would need to use.

I was a bit apprehensive about entering the gloomy water but it was fine as there was plenty of us learning and lots of instructors. It was tiring work but amazing fun. I was standing within about 15 minutes and i gradually got better as time passed. Sure they were only small waves, well twice the size of me sometimes but it was perfect for learning. I narrowly avoided a spectacular crash with Lee, somersaulting over his head at the last second. In the end i could stand on the board until i reached the sand.

It was amazing the first time i stood and actually moved fast with the waves, in control of myself. Immense! I was sad to end the session but it made me hungry for more, to keep improving.

We had a big dinner while watching photos of us surfing, then in the evening we played insane drinking games and chilled around a fire on benches made from surfboards.

------------------

The only thing left to do was the bus journey back to Sydney via Coffs Harbour.

As i saw the city skyline appear i felt a strange sense of homecoming. The bus arrived in Kings Cross and myself and Lee wandered into 'Mates Place' to be greeted by familiar faces

It had ended...what a trip!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb