Land of the "no worries" and we love it!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
December 25th 2017
Published: December 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, first, Happy Christmas (as they say here) to everyone. Today is Boxing day for us, and also moving day as we say goodbye to Sydney, and begin our drive to Melbourne. Our plans to arrive in Melbourne by Dec 30th, to spend New Years.



The last two weeks have been amazing, and yes, we love this country. We started out up the gorgeous coastline to Coffs Harbour and then on to Bryon Bay. Australia has done a beautiful job protecting their coastline, leaving it pristine, and accessible to the public. We camped at Bryon Bay, at a fairly typical 'holiday park' meaning with @ 200 new friends. But everyone is very friendly and it is a great way to meet people and get suggestions on places to see.



Then we drove inland on the New England Highway, with beautiful rolling hills of cows and sheep. It does remind us of sections of New England, although probably not what the New England is named after. Many of the rural villages are quaint, maintaining their charm, and we are always able to find a good meal. At each information centers they load us up with maps and ideas. The campgrounds have worked out great. Wikicamps, an Australian camping app is awesome, as we just enter the town, and the search lists all area campgrounds.



Glen Innes, a small town we stop at an Aboriginal Art Gallery, chatting with a very nice man, only to find out he is the artist. He gives us 3 boomerangs and shows us how to use them . He tells us to be careful, as when thrown correctly, they will come back to you. 'Don't forget to duck'. Glen Innes also has a Scottish heritage and their own version of a mini Stonehenge, called their Standing Stones. I felt like Outlander, as I meandered among them, listening.



At another tourist office, the women is recommending campgrounds, and says, this one is nice, but I am not sure they have mowed the grass. We kinda shrug. She sees we don't understand and says, you might have to deal with the snakes.... Ugh! So, now I make sure we camp at nicely manicured areas. Our wakeup call is screeching white Cockatoos, and more melodic Magpies, not a bad alarm clock!



After Glen Innes we spend time in Dorrigo, which we have yet to master the correct pronunciation. It has a beautiful rain forest National Park. Then it is on to Hunter Valley, beautiful and excellent wine country and again, lots of friendly people. Then it is three days in the Blue Mountains, enjoying Jenolan caves, a gorgeous botanical garden and good food.



After all that camping, we upgrade to a very nice downtown hotel in Sydney for Christmas, complete with a view of the Sydney Opera House, when those big cruise ships move. Toured the Opera House, took a Tall Ship sailing cruise and just meandered the streets, enjoying the Christmas carols, decorations and everyone's holiday spirit.



Moving day today, downgrading back to the campgrounds, which might take an adjustment. On our way, we hope to catch a glimpse of the start of the Sydney to Hobart sailing ships. Until then, Enjoy the holidays!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Olive groves at Pukara EstatesOlive groves at Pukara Estates
Olive groves at Pukara Estates

making fabulous olive oil


Tot: 0.67s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 40; qc: 143; dbt: 0.2652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb