Washpool and Gibraltar Range (26-27 March)


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Grafton and headed northwest towards Glen Innes on the World Heritage Way (Gwydir Highway). We had a brief stop at a lookout over the Gibraltar Ranges and then drove into Bellbird Camping Area in Washpool National Park. After setting up camp, we did the short Coombadjha Walk. Annelies and Thomas had a paddle in Coombadjha Creek but were a little wary of eels that had been spotted in the water upstream. We had a fireplace at Bellbird with firewood supplied, so we utilised the hot plate for dinner and also cooked a 'cherry jam roly poly' for dessert. While preparing dinner, Thomas spotted a lyrebird nearby.

The next day (Friday), we did the 8.5km Washpool Walk which took us through Wet Sclerophyll & Dry Sclerophyll forests and pockets of subtropical rainforest with huge Red Cedars. The walk also took us past Summit Creek Falls. After lunch we drove to Granite Picnic Area and walked to Granite Lookout, and then drove to Mulligans in Gibraltar Range National Park. Here we had a look at Mulligans Hut and Barra Nulla Cascades. This area was known for tin and gold mining up to the 1930s, while from the 1920s Bill Mulligan proposed building a private hydro-electric scheme to rework copper deposits, but it didn't come to fruition. At Mulligans, we also did the Forest Walk, although Alex and Thomas turned back before reaching Lyrebird Rock due to the light rain that was falling. Back at Bellbird camp site, we had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (both cooked in the camp oven) for dinner, although the latter wasn't a real success, probably because we made just one large pudding and Alex was guessing the recipe. The centre of the pudding didn't cook properly, so we'll have to give it another go once we get the proper recipe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Failed Yorkshire PuddingFailed Yorkshire Pudding
Failed Yorkshire Pudding

We'll be sure to try again.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb