The T's Van


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Slightly Different RigSlightly Different RigSlightly Different Rig

Same truck, different trailer, towing a TVan for a week is slightly different to towing our old trailer for 16 months!
Day 821/822

It is a while since I last wrote, in fact I am not sure when I did last write, but work got exceptionally busy and without checking online I cannot even remember if my last blog was published or not?

The month of January vanished in a complete haze of business, I thought we moved to Australia to enjoy a better way of life and enjoy the big outdoors, but it seems that we are both working harder than ever.

I was supposed to spend a couple of weeks on Christmas Island working a project, however on the morning that I was due to fly out with Andy and another colleague, something changed and I needed to stay behind in Canberra to work on another project. Of course I was gutted to say the least, but work is work and I did what I had to do.

We both fell headlong into business, my days seemed to get longer and longer often finding myself in the office at 9.00 in the evening, but it was much needed. Finally two weeks after my aborted trip I managed to unpack my suitcase and get some normality in place, well at home anyway.

In the blink of an eye I was again waiting at Canberra airport for Andy’s reappearance and to start getting ready for our holiday a much needed holiday for both of us.

I did not feel ready for my holiday in more ways than one, it was still far too busy a time at work to leave, but the trip was planned a few months ago and we were encouraged to take it, the other side of it was that we were so busy work wise there had been no real opportunity to plan what equipment or clothes we were going to take.

One thing was certain in all of this, we had hired ourselves a T-Van so that we could vanish into the Australian bush for a week with it and give it a good test as we are thinking about buying one so it is that old adage of try before you buy!

It was the morning of Saturday 5 February and we were both up early, frantically packing at the last minute, well it wasn’t that hard, 3 t-shirts, 3 pairs of shorts and an assortment of underwear, a long pair of trousers and a fleece, there job done. Nothing more required, we are only away for a week and we don’t need anything fancy!

Off we set to the other side of Canberra to pick our charge for the week, she was ready and waiting for us and after a quick lesson on how to use it the T-Van was hooked up behind the Patrol and off we set.

But where are we going? First stop of course is to our favourite farm, we needed to pick up a few things from our trailer which is still in storage at Woodstock, we get to see Helen, Robert and all of the lovely farm dogs. Helen also needs her lawn mowed so with the opportunity for Andy to play on the sit on mower, it is too good an opportunity to turn down.

I reminded myself that 2 years ago when we first turned down this road from Gundagai that this countryside was a very different place, it was hot, dry, dusty, barren and looked just like you would expect Australia to look and now it was lush, green, wildlife was in abundance, the dams were still full after the flooding and of course, it was still hot!

We ate a good meal, washed down with a couple of glasses of the good stuff, we all sat down to watch a bit of TV, however by 8.40 everyone has nodded off to sleep, I can understand Robert and Helen doing just that, after all they had probably been up since 4am, and Andy, well is just being Andy, but I have no excuse. We all said our goodnights and toddled off to bed.

Sunday morning brought with it a cooler front and more rain, I was wide awake at 7.00am and feeling refreshed after such a good solid nights sleep, of course everyone else was already in the kitchen and Robert was just about to head out of the door.

By 10.00 we were heading away from Woodstock and hitting the road further north, in the hope that we were going to escape the rain and the cool front that had just whipped in. I wondered if there was still some after effects of Cyclone Yasi.

Cyclone Yasi did not affect us in Canberra, we could only watch as the story unfolded in Queensland and how it was affecting and going to affect everyone’s lives up there, people were reminiscing of cyclone Larry some years before and the devastating effects that it had in Far North Queensland. Yasi was going to be bigger (and bigger than cyclone Tracy that devastated Darwin in 1974).

The day after Yasi passed over Far North Queensland, Canberra caught one of its tails, a much down graded cyclone by then hitting us with winds of 70 kph instead of the 300kph that the full force of the storm gave out. For a short space of time the rain hurled itself out of the sky whilst sturdy trees whipped around like flimsy twigs. If you can look at a map and see how far we are from Mission Beach where the cyclone touched down on land, then you may appreciate the scale of this monster.

I have digressed, it felt good to be back on the road again, that feeling of freedom and fresh air unfolded with the kilometres and as we drove on the rain cleared itself away and the weather got warmer again.

Andy and I took it in turns to drive,
Visting the Old GirlVisting the Old GirlVisting the Old Girl

She is over 50 years old now and still plenty of life left in her, constantly upgraded and stil at the forefront of celestial research, no sign of retirement.
it was weird to be towing again but fun. We even managed to swing by one of our favourite Australian icons, Parkes Radio Telescope. Yes, it’s still there and it even managed to move whilst we were there too. We did not stop long, just wanted to see if anything had changed, some of the exhibits had but we needed to hit the road, today is a long drive and we wanted to get pitched before it gets dark.

Eventually we arrived in the Warrumbungle National Park, we paid our fees and headed down to Camp Blackman where we have camped once before. There are probably a million and one places that we want to go or perhaps need to go, but this was one special place that we really wanted to revisit, we had a great time here last time (we hiked up the breadknife for one thing!) and knew that we could just pitch up and chill out. Did I mention the word chill that could not be further from the truth as it is of course exceptionally hot, but we knew that it would be.

In no time at all The T-Van or should we say the newly nicknamed “The T’s Van” was unfolded and ready for use, much quicker and easier than the trailer that we used on our trip around Australia. The kitchen just pulls out from the side of the trailer on this one, so in no time at all the kettle was on and a cup of tea was ready and waiting.

There are only 2 other campers here we are all a fair distance apart but in true camping style we have all acknowledged each other’s presence. There are lots of Kangaroo’s bobbing around chomping on the lush green grass. Far more here than there were last time, I expect that the abundance of water and food have increased the population.

I was on the lookout for the one sweet little kangaroo that grabbed my camera from the table and dropped it, but I cannot see one with the distinct torn ears, perhaps she is too bashful to come and see us again. One thing I did notice is that the kangaroo’s, although very aware of the intrusion to their habitat, do not come too near, previously with the lack of water and food I think that the kangaroo’s got too friendly with people as they needed food and water. Giving any wildlife our food is a big no no, what is good for us maybe no good for them and can often kill.

Relishing in the luxury of the T-Van, Andy and I retired inside to switch the lights on and read for a while, such luxury after our trailer. Both roof windows were open in the hope of a cool breeze, but no such luck it is a very hot night.

By 10.00 in camp world it was bedtime so lights out and listening for the wildlife, but we can only hear the crickets and before long we were in slumber land.


Advertisement



11th February 2011

The T's Van
Looks nice. How does it tow? How about some more pictures? Showing how easy it is to set up. Seems like a great unit. Is it a hard top over the sleeping area? So nice to see you on the road again, sort of anyway. Take Care And ENJOY

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb