NARRANDERRA TO WAGGA WAGGA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Wagga Wagga
November 9th 2013
Published: November 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We headed off from the showgrounds around 9:30 am and continued along the road to Wagga. As we couldn't book into the motel until 2 pm we stopped in a rest stop to read, have lunch and even a nanna nap getting back on the road and arriving at the motel at just after 2 pm.

GMan booked us in and then we discovered what the receptionist meant as being able to park in the back corner. A site reserved for maintenance vehicles in the elbow of a small L shaped parking area and a curve to be able to back into. Well between Graham behind the wheel and me giving instructions he managed to get it into the park with the minimum of fuss. We were chuffed.

Up to the room and discovered it was a touch above the normal motel room. Very spacious, recently renovated and very nice. We read and napped again until the others arrived when we all met in Shirley and Dave's room to chat over a cup of tea. Then it was off to pretty up before meeting in the hallway at 6:30 pm. A short walk to the bus stop and next thing the bus trundled along and we all got on and were driven out to the Wagga Wagga campus of Charles Stuart University.

We left they boys with the TV remote and were praying they would behave.

The function we were attending was the CSU Vintage Dinner. CSU teaches winemaking and they have their own wine label which is distributed as would any other wine brand and they hold this dinner yearly to showcase their product, this was the 36th.

First course was served on the lawns under some huge and magnificent lemon scented gum trees. Most noticeable was the number of men resplendent in dinner jackets. The wine being served was a Sparkling (can't say champagne) and it was very nice. A great selection of canapes were being circulated around including kofta's with a chilli dipping sauce. salsa with crab meat, smoked salmon and capers, mini pizza pieces, tiny quiches, blue cheese, pear and prosciutto. Great nosh.

We found our way into our table (no 16) and rearranged the names to ensure that each of us could see the stage! the other 5 at the table were three young ladies who had come out for the night with their grandparents and as the GP's were quite old the girls were the chauffeurs and guardians.

First course was a medley of sea food, nothing for GMan who doesn't eat it. Crayfish medallions on a lettuce base, crab and salsa on a bread round and gravlax with red capsicum and mandarin. Wine was a sauvignon blanc which I found very palatable considering it was Australian.

The sorbet between was a Mojita cocktail - lime, mint, white rum, sugar and soda water mixed, frozen and served.

Main course was rib eye steak with Canadian bacon and maple syrup. It also had a stuffing which we could not identify, but tasty with carrots and brocollini. Wine was a 2008 Cab Merlot which was drinking very well.

Dessert Blueberry creamy granola thing topped with a shortbread finger, some stewed berries and a pot of lemon creme all served with a moscato. It was obviously a good wine, but far too sweet for either of us. At this stage the young ladies took the GP's home and when the cheese and biscuits were served we ended up with two plates this of course was served with a very nice muscat with dark chocolate overtones. The cheese served was very good indeed. Yes Barbara there was tea and coffee too.

We were entertained by a young man who could sing from rock to opera and did very well indeed, especially with Nessum Dorma for which he received great applause.

Throughout the whole evening I was sitting next to Jenny, mentioned in a previous blog, and we caught up with 7 or 8 years of information.

We had a very nice time. Back onto the bus and back to the hotel where we all immediately went to sleep.

This morning Shirley and I went to the farmers markets whilst Graham and Dave went for a drive so Dave could try trailing our van. He found it difficult to trail the Jayco Discovery 2 they hired because of the width. At the end of the experience he declared that "You didn't even know it was there, just like Kermit" (their cub camper trailer).

Then the important stuff, Dave and Shirley took possession of the two cartons of Mikerae wine from the Clare Valley and we two bottles of Stone Pine gin from Bathurst. I noted that they appear to have lucked out and gotten 12 bottles of the 2010 Shiraz which was excellent.

We all then went to Cache a local eatery for breakfast where I dined on eggs Benedict with a little ham and Gman of course the big breakfast. Back to the motel where we all booked out.

We all said goodbye and GMan and I consulted the map and headed off ending up in a tiny town called Conargo where we are in a free camp site at the local sports ground. Here we also managed to back our van into a space albeit with a little more difficulty than before.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th November 2013

Great Time Enjoyed By All
Everything looks & sounded very elaborate & well worth the trip. I cant really speak for the wines (being Tea Total) but Rob was pouring over the names you mentioned. I gather he was not too familiar with them. What a choice of menu, YUM. Who ate GMans seafood? The travel writings are again very good reading. I hope when The Manhattan gets on the road again, finding camp sites as good as you two seem to find will be easy. Think we will get you to compile a list for us. I hope Dave looks into a van that is only as wide as yours & can feel comfortable towing it. There are pleanty out there + incorporated Bathroom & Toilets, a must for the night times. bye for now

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb