Just Strolling


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Urunga
October 23rd 2010
Published: October 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We decided to have another casual day on Saturday so went for the usual walk first thing - this time we went down from the boardwalk onto the beach from where a few guys were surfing and others were sea fishing. It wasn’t a safe swimming beach as the waves were quite rough so I contented myself with a paddle but still got quite wet! What a pleasure it was to be able to get up and wander along an almost deserted beach. We chatted for some time to our latest neighbours, Sean and his wife Michelle. Fifty or so years ago Sean came to Australia from Dublin via New Zealand. Graham happened to mention what a nuisance the sand flies were and soon afterwards Sean produced a bottle of homemade mixture of citronella, baby oil and something else he couldn’t remember! Whatever it was it worked a treat. He also gave some great advice about fitting mesh to the front of the car to prevent locusts from smothering the engine and causing overheating problems. We encountered locusts on our last trip so we recognize the value of taking precautions. So many thanks to another great couple.

After a salad lunch we drove along the coast road, a few kms down a track and eventually came out right by Wenonah Headland. There had been no signposts so presumably only locals and nosy people like us get to know about it. We got out of the car and circling around right above us were two White Bellied Sea Eagles. They are huge, magnificent birds and again it was a privilege to see them so close. Down on the beach a couple of para-sailing boarders were preparing to set off and after a few minutes we could see them struggling to control the sail in the gusty wind from the surf which was pretty rough. After that we drove on down the coast to Nambucca Heads where Sean and Michelle had travelled from a couple of days previously. It was less than 50 kms away so it didn’t take long to get there. Nambucca was a bigger and more commercial town than Urunga and we didn’t take to it in quite the same way. The caravan park that Sean and Michelle had stayed at looked pretty good and it was very close to a walk to the headland. We did the walk and there of course we could see whales in the distance. Within a few weeks probably most of the humpback whales will have passed by the eastern coastline on their migration back to the Antarctic, We keep saying it but it has been a real thrill to see these wonderful creatures so long may they thrive in these waters. Back at the caravan we did a bit of tidying up as we planned to leave the next day. We still got in our evening walk along the boardwalk and chatted to an accountant whose parents had emigrated from Hartlepool when he was a tiny tot. He had lived in Canberra for many years but one day happened to go to Urunga for a conference and never left! As we were enjoying the sunset and sitting halfway along the boardwalk, a bright pink glow appeared low on the horizon. As we watched it gradually got bigger and we soon realised it was the emerging full moon. The colour was remarkable and to us it was a very strange sight. If only I had more expertise with the camera and had taken my long lensed Canon I might have got some amazing photos. It was a special way to end our short stay in this wonderful place.






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

What fish is this, Darryl?What fish is this, Darryl?
What fish is this, Darryl?

(Darryl became a fishing guru whilst in Aus)


26th October 2010

A different combination!
We used baby oil and dettol to keep the flies away from our soft skin! We were told to put white spirit with it too but we didn't bother! Whatever the combination, hope it works! Beautiful photos again and stunning fish! :-) x x
26th October 2010

you realy have a wonderful journey. Yours, Monique and Gérard
3rd November 2010
and Graham just enjoyed the walk

where's your surfboard Graham, much birdlife to see? now i've found your blog i'll check it out from time to time, viewed most of your photo's aus' looks awesome, hi jan the trike looked brilliant, i'll leave you to enjoy tara sandy
5th November 2010

Hi Sandy, great to hear from you. Check out blog dated 22nd October when we saw ospreys, whimbrel, godwits and whales! best wishes to all, Jan and Graham

Tot: 0.486s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb