Ulladulla (24-25 February)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Ulladulla
February 27th 2009
Published: February 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pigeon House MountainPigeon House MountainPigeon House Mountain

Named by Captain Cook, 1770
We headed north with no real idea of where we were going to stay, but Thomas had developed a toothache so we decided to try and find a dentist in Ulladulla. The staff at the local Library, which also staff the Visitor Centre, were very helpful in giving us directions. In the end, we decided to stay in Ulladulla for a couple of nights and do the walk up to Pigeon House Mountain the next day. We stayed at Mollymook Caravan Park so the trip from Murramarang National Park to here ended up being our shortest drive for the trip to date.

Thomas' toothache was resolved with his first filling (in one of his baby teeth), so the next day we headed up to Pigeon House Mountain (719m above sea level). The mountain was named by Captain James Cook during his voyage of discovery where he

"...saw a remarkable peaked hill which resembles a square dovehouse with a dome on top and for that reason I named it Pigeon House" - Lieutenant James Cook, HMS Endeavour, April 21, 1770.

The walk was steep in sections and we all had encounters with one of our favourite creatures - leeches! The final climb up the ladders to the summit was good fun but the view from the summit was hazy and we didn't spend too much time up there due to the large number of enormous bees. It was good to be walking again after a walking hiatus during our stay in Canberra and Murramarang.

We drove past the very pretty Mollymook Beach a couple of times and wished it was 10 degrees warmer or that the stiff onshore breeze wasn't there (preferably both)! Needless to say, we didn't swim.

On Thursday, we packed up then walked the short One Track for All cultural trail on Ulladulla's northern headland. Then it was north into Jervis Bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Pigeon House MountainPigeon House Mountain
Pigeon House Mountain

Final ladder climb
One Track for All trailOne Track for All trail
One Track for All trail

Ulladulla Harbour


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb