Heading home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Tamworth
July 15th 2014
Published: July 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday and Thursday night we spent in Byron Bay. The caravan park was a little out of Byron, right on the beach and being away from the main town, was very quiet. We had a relaxing few days, soaking up the vibe of Byron, exploring nearby Bangalow, and spent plenty of time on the beach. We spent a number of hours at the Beach Hotel on Wednesday night, watching the third State of Origin game....cheering loudly when the Maroons belted NSW! On Friday we leisurely made our way back up the coast road to Kingscliff to visit our dear friends Rob and Misa Green and their two girls.



On our way up there, we visited the most Easterly point of the Australian mainland at Cape Byron....more whale watching, and some lovely coffees and milkshakes at the lighthouse. We stumbled across a great camping/lunch spot near Pottsville right on the beach again. While the boys chased waves here, we saw some amazing whales slapping their huge fins over and over and over....so cool!



A great catch up on Friday night with Rob and Misa resulted in a slow morning on Saturday. We rode bikes, scooters and
sunrise at Byronsunrise at Byronsunrise at Byron

It's pretty cool to be among the first people in Australia to see the sun for the day!
skateboards to the beach two minutes down the street from their house to check out the surf conditions. Compared some NRL and AFL on the beach and then went up the road to Kingscliff town for a cafe stop and for a surf. Fin and Ryley braved the cold water to rip up the waves, and even Grant had a crack. Rob showed us how its really done, and then we had a bite for lunch. The afternoon was sunny and warm but we dragged ourselves away from out seats in the sun to go for a stand up paddle on the river at the back of Rob and Misa's house. A 4km run with the kids to help Kiana train for her State Cross Country championships and then more laughs into the evening, with the boys thoroughly enjoying the company of the Green girls, Jasmine (14) and Kiana (9).



Sunday morning, Grant and I decided to take the double kayak for a paddle down the river to the mouth at Kingscliff. It was about a 4km paddle, which was very pleasant going with the tide. But after our coffee at the Kingscliff harbour, and with the
wind picking up, the 4km paddle home was considerably more difficult...my arms felt like they were made of lead, and the blisters on my poor hands were a good indication of my aching muscles! A good challenge conquered though! The afternoon was a bit lazy, but Grant and I managed a beer at the local without the boys, and a spot of shopping.

We had such a lovely time in Kingscliff and the boys were quite cross to have to leave so soon. It's so good to have friends that you don't see very often, but can still pick up where you left off. Hopefully it won't be another 5 years before we see the Greens again!

Monday we began the journey home....although the thought of camping in the trailer inland where the night before in Glenn Innes was -11 degrees (true!) was a daunting one. We made it to Tamworth which was a bit of a hike, but the powered site and warm camp kitchen, complete with open fire, was cosy and comfortable! This morning we had a quick look at the Big Golden Guitar in Australia's country music capital and kept motoring through to Nyngan. With
rain beginning and thunderstorms forecast for overnight we opted for a cabin. The River Cabin we booked into is right on the banks of the Macquarie River and can best be described as "unique". The cabin is built onto the back of an old truck....hopefully the river doesn't rise too much overnight or we might float away, although I guess we could crawl into the cabin of the truck and drive it away..... Another holiday experience to remember. The plan tomorrow is to get to Broken Hill, and Kadina the day after. I keep checking the weather at home which doesn't bring much hope, but we have had an amazing 6 weeks in sunny winter, so we can't complain really.

Hope you've enjoyed the blog and pics along the way, and we look forward to sharing more again in person soon. Peace out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Cape ByronCape Byron
Cape Byron

The sign has changed since we were here last, but it's still an amazing view

Kingscliff harbourKingscliff harbour
Kingscliff harbour

We recover before we head back against the tide
The River Cabin!!!! NynganThe River Cabin!!!! Nyngan
The River Cabin!!!! Nyngan

What have we got ourselves in for?


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb