Koolkuna Berries


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Tamworth
February 1st 2006
Published: May 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

From Tamworth, I was collected by Lother and taken an hour away, to the berry farm in Niangala. Here, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, amongst others during the season, are picked. They are then sorted and the ones that aren't perfect enough to use for selling in punnets are used for jams and ice cream. The farm also offers self-picking for tourists.

The fellow pickers were Emily and Robyn (Ozzie), Colin (NZ), Jamie (Pom), Troy (Romananian/Oz) and Jerome. After me arrived Japanese Dai and Kaori, who I loved hanging out with and learning Japanese! John came along to do maintenence, once Glen had returned to Uni.

We would begin picking (mainly blackberries but back-breaking strawberries for one hour each morning) around 8am, depending when the fruit was dry. Every hour, the fruit would get sorted into trays and taken to the packing shed so they were cooled ASAP by Barbara (Lother's wife). After each break we had to wash out all our buckets (6 each) and head back out to start again!

Our breaks were set at 11am, 1pm and 3pm and we stayed in the 'picker's quarters', where we shared 2 to a room, had our own
Riding the quad!Riding the quad!Riding the quad!

Pebbles' favourite seat.
kitchen and walked to the showers (20c for 2 minutes). There was little to do in the evenings besides play Uno and watch TV so sometimes after work we would jog and a couple of times we swam in the chilly dark dam!

Lother would drive into town a couple of times a week and we could nominate a space in the car to do our food shopping.

As much as I enjoyed working on the farm, the authority was quite negative, and I found this upsetting as some of us weren't the fastest pickers as it was! The highlight of the farm was Channel Seven camera crew coming to film us on Valentine's Day!

After 3 weeks on the farm, I called the number I had originally been given and arranged to be picked up, much to my new Japanese pals' dismay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The blackberry rowsThe blackberry rows
The blackberry rows

Black satin, Chester, Dirkson, so many types!
Back to the shed...Back to the shed...
Back to the shed...

Robyn, Jerome & Dai
SmokoSmoko
Smoko

Chillin on the veranda
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

Dai made us pancakes mmm!
UnoUno
Uno

Robyn, Jamie & Colin playing cards
Valentine's DayValentine's Day
Valentine's Day

Kaori, John, Dai & Barbara
Camera crew!Camera crew!
Camera crew!

Julie-Ann, me and camera crew with Mike Whitney, famous ex-cricketer, presenting...
LotherLother
Lother

Yum, berry ice cream!
Crazy Dutch man...Crazy Dutch man...
Crazy Dutch man...

A house down the mountain was surrounded by bikes! Seemingly the owner is still collecting!!
Robyn's birthdayRobyn's birthday
Robyn's birthday

Our one night out was to the local pub (40 mins away), The Dungowan. Here's John, me, Kaori and Dai
Deb & KaoryDeb & Kaory
Deb & Kaory

Kaory and Dai spent many hours teaching me Japanese!
Wombat!Wombat!
Wombat!

Apparently they saw plenty once I'd left!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb