Our world tour Part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 4th 2017
Published: March 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Saturday March 4 2017

Our first full day in Sydney.

Let me give it to you as it is: jetlag is a bitch. We were awake around 3.00 AM, but fortunately we were able to drift off a bit, but around 7.00 AM, that was it.

Great breakfast here at the hotel. After breakfast we spent some time in the business lounge where we met a friendly Australian couple that gave us some tips on things to do, amongst them, go and see the Mardi Gras Gay Parade. A major happening here.

As it turns out Sydney, after San Francisco has the largest gay community of any city in the world. As you would find for these type of parades, people in favor others against. A major political figure of a Christian Democrat party here is very opposed and prays every year that it may rain at the time of the parade. Today it looked as if he was going to get lucky because the day had been kind of dreary, the elements again, as in other years, were against him. Although cloudy and humid, it did not rain.

Interesting the way that this politician explains
IMG_2617IMG_2617IMG_2617

View from restaurant.
the reason why he is against the gay community: " the bible talks about Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve....".

During the day we took a tour that showed us Sydney, not particular monuments, but more a global overview of the different parts and faces of the city. The only exception was the Opera House seen from the other side of the bay.

We had a nice fish and chips lunch on the beach at the oldest family owned restaurant (1885) in the city, Doyles.

We finished the day by attending the gay parade, our first one. Amazing the number of people participating and watching the parade. The numbers we heard for attendance vary from 400.00 to 600.000 with people coming from all over the world.

As a curious note, there was a Dutch contingent....

Nice day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th March 2017
IMG_0053

Familiar
Moet je de gayparade in Amsterdam eens zien. Typisch Nederlandse deelnemers: oranje shirts en hangtieten

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb