Summer Down Under 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 1st 2017
Published: March 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Toronto, Shanghai, Sydney, Christchurch

Please excuse the wonky map..it is hard to manage.The pilot did not get lost...we travelled the Great Circle Route to Shanghai.

Buddist templeBuddist templeBuddist temple

Our personalized tour took us to a Buddhist temple which survived the oppressive Cultural Revolution under Mao.
For the first time we travelled to Australia via China...Shanghai. Mostly to break up the long flights but also to get a brief feel for the possibility of a more extensive tour in the future. The 15 hour flight was painful but getting a good night's sleep then having a personalized tour of the city made up for it.

Then on to Sydney for a 5 week family and friends visit and celebration of Mum's 97th birthday.

To break up our long stay in Oz we planned a month long tour of the South Island of New Zealand. The first 2 weeks were shared with rellies Carl and Jody, the second, just the 2 of us.

Click on the first photo to open.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Silk FactorySilk Factory
Silk Factory

We 'helped' these ladies stretch a layer of silk onto a duvet - to - be. They corrected our effort.
LunchLunch
Lunch

The menu was a mystery!
Take your pick!Take your pick!
Take your pick!

These were available on the dinner menu.
Korean BBQ lunch, Sydney.Korean BBQ lunch, Sydney.
Korean BBQ lunch, Sydney.

Marlie with Paddy Gunning...built-in bbq at your table.
The GunningsThe Gunnings
The Gunnings

We retreated to a waterside café to try to escape the 42c heat.
Happy Birthday Mum!Happy Birthday Mum!
Happy Birthday Mum!

Still going strong.
# 97# 97
# 97

Mum had family and friends with her to celebrate birthday # 97.
Bulli cottageBulli cottage
Bulli cottage

As a birthday 'treat' we took Mum on an overnight to a cottage by the ocean, just south of Sydney.
PinchgutPinchgut
Pinchgut

We had always wanted to visit Fort Dennison (commonly called Pinchgut by the convicts who spent solitary time there, surrounded by sharks) in Sydney Harbour ...we finally did.
BarbieBarbie
Barbie

A favourite Aussie pastime...with brother Garry
Sister JodySister Jody
Sister Jody

About to explore the Moeraki boulders.. south of Christchurch.
picture perfectpicture perfect
picture perfect

this scenery shot taken at Moeraki won our 'pic of the day' competition.
OamaruOamaru
Oamaru

whimsical sculpture...we needed a hook like that.
Milford SoundMilford Sound
Milford Sound

About to embark on our cruise...the weather could not have been more perfect.
Magnificent MilfordMagnificent Milford
Magnificent Milford

Our last time here...14 years ago, was wet and soggy.
Te AnauTe Anau
Te Anau

Lovely little cross stitch poem.
Carl casting for the elusive brown troutCarl casting for the elusive brown trout
Carl casting for the elusive brown trout

supposedly easy to catch ...not for us.
Frankton fish shopFrankton fish shop
Frankton fish shop

No trout to be caught...this was an alternative...we selected blue cod and gurnard instead.
Near QueenstownNear Queenstown
Near Queenstown

the stunning drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy.
BungyBungy
Bungy

the site of the original jump, outside Queenstown.


2nd March 2017

Pictures
Pics are amazing as you two are! - And Joy, she looks awesome Ian - what a life you two are having - So happy for you - It is cold here - can't wait for Summer - Having a glass of Vino(CHEERS) as I type this - xo p.s. some of that food you showed (YIKES) (ha)

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb