Edit Blog Post
Published: October 17th 2006
Well after almost 40 hours of traveling, I finally made it to my hostel (The Pink House, www.pinkhouse.com) in Sydney. The flights weren't nearly as bad as I expected (the food was though). Yes, they were long and I barely slept, but the feeling of going through so many weird time zones (light, dark, light, dark) and flying over foreign countries was so exciting the time "flew" by.
As I was leaving Toronto (after a teary eyed goodbye to Dad), I was worried that I wasn't feeling anything...I wasn't excited or scared. I later realized it was just because I was anticipating the long ride ahead and wasn't really grasping what I was doing. As we were landing in London I saw a massive castle from the air, which made me think about all the new things I was finally going to see and experience. Then came the butterflies of excitement!
Today I made my first call home for help. In my hasty packing it seems I forgot my bank card! Luckily I had some American money on hand but I'm still trying to sort out the best way to get some money. Until this is done it looks
like I'll be spending some time in Sydney, which is absolutely fine with me. I walked around the city all day today and loved it! There's no other feeling like seeing and experiencing new things. Everything is different, the buildings, trees, birds, cars, accents (everyone thinks I'm American...grrr). Even though the weather wasn't great today (cloudy with some rain) I was so energized finding my way around this city. I spend the first part walking along the harbour, around the Opera House, throughout the Botanical Gardens. I bought a ticket to see the Sydney Symphony in the Opera House Thursday night. Then I went shopping! Oh girls...you have no idea. I had a blast trying on all sorts of amazing clothes there's no way I can afford (haha but I guess that doesn't say much since I can't afford most things right now). The shopping had to stop though because all the stores here close at 5 or 5:30 which is probably a good thing.
So, what did I learn today?
(1) How to cross the street.
- - Since people drive on the other side of the road you look left first.
(2) How to walk
on the sidewalk.
- - It took me a minute to realize that maybe the reason I was bumping into everyone was because I was being the idiot walking in their way.
(3) Every picture of the Sydney Opera House must be photoshopped because it's NOT white.
- - a lot of the tiles are a cream color (some are white) so it actually looks creamy golden.
(4) Australians are seriously fit.
- - I swear the entire city was out running on their lunchbreaks. There were hords of people running everywhere, doing pushup's on the grass, swimming in the outdoor pool by the harbour, or doing yoga in a walk in room right on the water.
Well that's it for now. I think I will make my way back to the hostel and figure out what to do tomorrow...what a life!
Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.007s; 1; m:saturn w:www (188.8.131.52); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.2mb