Christmas and New Year...a time for reflection...not necessarily good cheer.


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 3rd 2017
Published: January 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Christmas and New Year...a time for reflection...not necessarily good cheer. A time for reflection I find. Means different things to many people. In Oz it is when families get together that either get together often...or only on this day. To Denise a joyous time...Christmas lights, making cakes for everyone, gleefully wrapping presents, dreaming of family together and happy, a Christmas kinda g... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



CousinsCousins
Cousins

Vicki & Denise
CousinsCousins
Cousins

Bryanna & Anna-Lou
Mother & daughterMother & daughter
Mother & daughter

Rhondda & Joan











3rd January 2017

What do I do at this time of year???
Spend it with family. Thanks for sharing your own childhood memories which could have soured you on Christmas. Denise gave you a new beginning. I'm pleased you also reached out to your brother and sister.
3rd January 2017

What do I do at this time of year???
With you there Bob. The snowflakes crocheted for us by Linda adorn our Christmas tree and the warmth of the hospitality of your Colorado home surrounded by snow will remain with us always. The photos on page 4 of my blog remind me that some are not so fortunate.
4th January 2017

A time for reflection
You have painted a wonderful reflection of the Christmas time, Dave. I am with Denise with this...for us, it's the time to walk on the winter wonderland. No matter wherever I travel, I come home before Christmas. It's a season to spend time with the family and share the warmth! It's also so true that it's not about cheers all the time. Starting with food banks to charity, we do the best we could. It's a time for sharing after all. Thanks for the timely blog, a true reflection of our feeling.
4th January 2017

A time for reflection
I see so many aspects of relationships in my work Tab that I cannot escape reflecting on how fortunate we are and that many are not so fortunate. Christmas time is promoted as a time for families to get together but it often is not so. Your family sounds very close and how fortunate you must be. As we mainly travel third world the plight of others at this time of year is brought into high relief as evidenced in the photos on page 4 of my blog. Thank you for your comments and best wishes for 2017.
4th January 2017

Christmas
I wish you a lovely 2017 Dave!!!
4th January 2017

Christmas
I also wish you a lovely 2017 Marcos. How lucky are you to be travelling. If only I could be so fortunate!!!
4th January 2017

Christmas with and without
My family will never gather complete for another Christmas (long story), but even that wasn't enough to stop me wishing like hell I was home for Christmas the years I have been on my own when living overseas. There's just something about that day that even an 'orphans' Christmas gathering can't quite replace. I'm glad that Denise worked her Christmas magic on you, and love the way you took us on the journey of reality later in the entry. Warmest of 2017 wishes to the Dancing Duo (and I hope you're home for Christmas this year!).
5th January 2017

Christmas with and without
This Christmas was not all just go, go, go, so I had time to reflect and realise that it is a special time where one's priority should be to be with family whether such times are rare or not. Which got me to thinking...what about those we pass by so often who have nobody to share it with? You are an incredibly generous soul Jo, so I have no doubt your family would have been acutely aware you were with them in spirit even when you may have been over the waves and far away.
4th January 2017

What a thought-provoking blog, Dave. I also did not celebrate Christmas as much as many of my friends did -- not for lack of family so much as my mother was not raised with a lot of the Western Christmas traditions, so she didn't really know a lot of the tradition until I was much older. I find having a daughter now really inspires us to create a magical experience for her to reflect back on and, especially with the New Year, an opportunity to think about reality, hope, and what is in our power to change, but at her young age, definitely a time for cheer. While some will go out to intentionally massacre symbols, people and places of celebration, and others are in lonely or difficult circumstance, I find it very important to create a positive cheer if it is within our emotional, physical means to do so. Not without acknowledging the darker things that happen (not only on holidays but really every day in many places of the world), for it is the small bit of counteraction. Even if it is meaningless for the masses, it can make a world of difference to my family and friends and a rippling effect that is perhaps defiant(?) in its determined cheer. Much love to you and Denise and your family!
5th January 2017

a thought-provoking blog
With a thought-provoking eloquent comment Michelle. Thank you. I walked into a store in Beijing on my first China trip, probably to escape from the cold, and was met by a skinny Chinese guy in a Santa suit. There is no way there was any Christian religious significance in Beijing but they saw it as a retail opportunity and a time to promote good cheer. The universal appeal of Christmas was clear. Your words "While some will go out to intentionally massacre symbols, people and places of celebration, and others are in lonely or difficult circumstance, I find it very important to create a positive cheer if it is within our emotional, physical means to do so," should be our mantra. Well said Michelle and best wishes to your family.
4th January 2017

Christmas Reflection
It was a poignant blog Dave. You managed a fine balance of talking about the positive (memories of your own, your kids, what Den does to make it so special) while reflecting on all those that aren't so fortunate to have warm cozy fires & happy families to gather around. I, much like Den, love Christmas & always have driven home to our kids (now 11, 15, & 17) about the importance of family - the gathering together, breaking bread together, playing board games & just hanging out together with nowhere to go. I always invite anyone I know that doesn't have family to share it with & Christmas Eve is huge for us - friends show up, I make them play crazy games & wear funny hats (hey booze is involved so nobody refuses!) I'm fortunate to have a top-notch husband who goes along with this (plus hanging those &*^%$ lights on the roof at risk of life & limb in cold Canada). Anytime of the year is a good time to reflect but I agree there is a melancholy thing about Christmas/New Years especially for those that have lost loved ones. PS Al always did Santa's boot prints coming out of the fireplace much like your bitten carrots. Well done to you great dads! Happy new year Dave, and I always love your introspective blogs! Sal
5th January 2017

Christmas Reflection
Your comments bring me around your fire with a smile on my face, Sal. With comments from folk from USA, Canada, Italy, New Zealand, Australia and sharing these thoughts with others all over the globe the message is clear...there is a place for Christmas cheer no matter your circumstances. Love that you invite others to join you. We sometimes have done that and that they have someone who cares enough to do so is to them special indeed. May Santa's footprints visit your home for years to come...and Denise's Christmas lights remind us each year that Christmas is a time to get together and have fun.
5th January 2017

Christmas and New Year's greetings to you.
Mostly we spend Christmas without the family as they are usually working. They are midwives, paramedics, nurses or other people who give their time so others can have a happy Christmas. This year we spent Christmas Day with two friends whose family were also otherwise occupied. A tasteful picnic at a local beach. A bottle of good bubbly (we had to drive home). Great time together. Maybe next year all our families will be home together.
5th January 2017

Christmas and New Year's greetings to you.
I can picture you John & Sylvia waxing lyrical enjoying the company of friends...united by the theme..."Hey it's Christmas...what better reason to share it together." After your last epic adventures there would have been no shortage of stories to stroke the breeze. Hope you have a great 2017.
5th January 2017

Christmas
Very interesting blog Dave! Thanks for sharing your experiences and memories. For me Christmas is all about spending time with my family - frantic grocery shopping and then baking and cooking for three days only to sit together around the table on Christmas Eve and relax for the next few days... Without my family and in a foreign country Christmas just doesn't feel the same - as much as I have tried to keep up the Polish traditions and make some typical dishes during my two Christmases in Australia, it just didn't feel Christmassy at all... Still I have nothing to complain about though - like you said there are many, many people less fortunate... And many people forget about that... Wishing you all the best in the New Year!
5th January 2017

Christmas
Great to hear you grace the art of baking and cooking to uphold your Polish traditions at Christmas but where did you spend that time this year Anna? Grant and Millie look as if your European adventures are leading to a nomadic life gracing tables at your whim or delight. Here's to a fabulous 2017.
6th January 2017

Who doesn't love a bit of magic in their life
I love that you share little glimpses of the private you in your blogs this allows us to connect on a more intimate level, for just a moment. Celebrations/ festivals are important events for both communities & families in that it creates a platform to communicate, to feel happy, to feel connected, to share the good things - love joy, peace & goodwill to others & in doing so creates history with one another. There is much criticism directed at religion but one thing the great religions of the world bring is celebration & festivals & without them a vacuum is left. Alain de Botton Is a Philosopher & atheist & he too acknowledges the value these celebrations on a community level & within families. So for me Christmas provides the aforementioned all held together with a touch of magic & who doesn't love a bit of magic in their life ?
6th January 2017

Who doesn't love a bit of magic in their life
With you my love the magic is palpable in all the senses...sight, sound, touch and rising wafts of aroma that are then saturated in the taste buds. And when it is presented with your smile and generous heart...wouldn't swap my seat at your table with anyone!
6th January 2017

Christmas in Poland
Since we were in Europe, there was no way we were going to skip Christmas in Poland, so we planned our trip around it. Grant's and Millie's first real Polish Christmas! Even my granny was there and my sister came from Dublin as well. Nomadic life... Hmmm... Think we're up for it for sure! Here's to fabulous 2017!
7th January 2017

Christmas in Poland
Fabulous Anna. Thanks for letting us know. 2017 already is shaping up well!
9th January 2017

A time for reflection
I'm glad Denise came into your life and showed you the happiness of Christmas. Glad you stayed home this year and enjoyed the nest. With your practice I can see the pull of traveling at Christmas and as long as Denise is with you it can be joyful. Always good to experience other cultures during holiday times. Reflection is good for the soul. Great writing Dave and as always you ask us to take a moment to consider what others are experiencing. Sounds like you created excitment for your kids as they grew up...very cool. I would have expected nothing less. Happy New Year to you and can't wait to see you again.
9th January 2017

A time for reflection
I wonder if I spend a lot of time reflecting, MJ. Denise often says I have that far away look. I certainly spend a lot of time thinking but I also spend a lot of time doing. I feel that far away look coming...wondering where we will meet next...somewhere beautiful...somewhere different. Mmmm!
10th January 2017

Happy New Year!
It is also a tradition for my family to celebrate Christmas and NYE at the beach. It's our version of White Christmas. Glad your Christmas changed and became fun when you started a family. I can't imagine Christmas without my big family. Cheers!
10th January 2017

Happy New Year!
Great to hear from you Harold. So you have a White Christmas in the Philippines...a white sand beach Christmas no less! Great stuff. May 2017 be good to you.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 19; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb