Coffs Harbour to Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 30th 2015
Published: December 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Friday 25 December continued

Sunshine all day.

The rest of our day was quiet and we watched some films on tv. Later on in the day we spoke to our families.

9 kms driven today.

Saturday 26 December

Boxing day and sunshine starts the day.

We woke and had a slow start.

At 11.00 am we headed off to the Botanic gardens for a better look.

Again we were really pleased to visit the place and we wandered around for some time looking at all the wonderful plants and wildlife.

Next we went to the town centre retail area and bought loads of things in the sales, which we thought were already a good price, before reductions.

We had Chinese for lunch in one of the food courts and then did some more shopping returning to the room at 3.30 pm.

Pat is planning to catch up on some washing this afternoon.

Later on we decided that a visit to the local cinema was in order, so we drove to the bcc cinema not far up the road. Star Wars: The Force Awakens for a second viewing. 7.40 pm showing and AUS$19.00 each. It was raining again as we arrived.

11 kms driven today.

Sunday 27 December

Overcast but no rain.

Our last full day in Coffs Harbour. Pat was still getting washing dry. We decided that a visit to the Honey house at Urunga and The Butterfly House were on the cards today.

First thing was to try and find a particular petrol station as we had a duscount voucher aftr purchases at tthe IIGA the other day. We found th sttion and saved AUS$1.61

The honey house was half an hour away and the Pacific Highway was really busy, but we were in no hurry. When we arrived we had a quick look, there wasn't much to see and nothing held our for long.

Urunga town was next, we parked near the water and walked the main street, then into the Boardwalk cafe, were we had burger, chips and salad for lunch.

Then off to the Butterfly House, which was on the way back and paid our AUS$18.00 each.There are about 400 butterflys of various types.

Unfortunately the place was overun with families, but it was interesting. Pat was given a large stick insect to hold at one stage.

Then back up the road to the shopping centre for some supplies and back to the room.

The afternoon was us getting ready to depart for Sydney in the morning.

Monday 28 December

Objective today: drive to Sydney, find hotel and return hire car.

Weather was overcast but ok.

We set the alarm for 7.00 am as we have over 500 kilometres to go today, and the hire car was due back by 4.30 pm.

Pat started the driving and because of new road construction a lot of the first part of the journey was slow going, 60 or 80 kph for long stretches.

We did 300 kilometres in the first four hours.

Stopped at a Revive, Refresh, Survive stop which provides free tea and coffee for drivers.

We filled up with petrol later, but basically we drove and drove. In the afternoon it rained while Pat was driving, like it usually does on her.

Eventually we arrived in Sydney and through Pat's navigating we went straight to the hotel. Time was just before 3.00 pm.

The idea was to check in, drop off our luggage then return the car and be able to travel on public transport without having to lug our stuff around.

We waited a short while and two ladies checked in before us. Then we checked in, we dumped our stuff and quickly got back on the road again, to further navigate Sydney to return our hire car.

The car needed to be returned full of petrol and as we weren't to far away, we stopped at the first one we saw and squeezed it over full.

With only a slight hitch we made our way to the return depot, called the office and a guy turned up within minutes, quickly looked over the car and that was that. 538 kilometres today and a total of 1215 kms from Brisbane to Sydney for us.

We asked for directions and he directed us to Kings Cross.

At the station people were glad to offer advice and after speaking to a train lady, we purchased an Opal card. This was from the newsagent guy who was also very helpful.

We got got our cards which allow you to travel on trains, buses, light trains (trams) and ferries and loaded up with AUS$20.00 each.

Then we caught the train to Central. When the train arrived at the platform, we were both surprised as they are double deckers. We rode on the top deck of course.

Then up to the light railway train from Eddy Street to Taverners Hill. Locating our Way from the station we arrived back at the hotel at 5 pm ish.

After not eating all day, we ordered a pizza from Domino's to be delivered. Pat bought a few supplies from the 7eleven next door. He arrived at 6.05 pm.

We then ate in the hotel atrium area and that was us finished for the night.

Tuesday 29 December

A good nights sleep. Weather brighter.

We stirred not too early and left the room a 10.30 am. Sightseeing was our objective for the day.

The light railway took us to Central station then a local train to Circular Quay. Everywhere was choc a bloc with people.

Our first destination was the Opera house. We have tickets booked for a show on the 1st and we were here to pick them up. We found the box office and collected up the tickets no problem. Then looked around.

Voyager of the seas was in the harbour on a turnaround. We walked around the Rocks area

After that we walked all over the place and gradually finding our bearings. We were both hungry and found a salad bar for something to eat.

Then walked some more. Later on we had some more food and after pounding the streets for hours, we finally gave up and went back to the room arriving at 6.00 pm.

Wednesday 30 December

A good nights sleep and not too early a start.

Pat wanted to do some shopping without me looking over her shoulder. So we decided to go our seperate ways for a few hours. We both left the hotel and took the short walk to Taverners Hill the local light railway and headed towards the centre.

I got off at Pyrmont Bay and headed to the Australian National Maritime Museum. Pat went on ultimately to the Rocks.

I found my way to the museum and gsined entry for AUS$30.00. First was the replica model of HM Bark Endeavour. The ship that Captain James Cook found Australia with.

The replica is exact size snd you are able to wander about above and below decks. A fascinating experience. The ship is 98 feet long and they took these ships atound the world in dreadful conditions.

There are other vessels to look over and exhibitions and artefacts to look around.

The plan was to meet to meet Pat at the Chinese Peace gardens, which we did at 1.30 pm.

Pat had managed to buy some Uggs in the colour she wanted and a wide brimmed hat she had been looking for, so she was hsppy.

We were both hungry so ate in a nearby restaurant called Stacks for a really good value meal, AUS$28.00 each for two courses and including a drink. Lovely food.

Then back to the gardens and wandered for a while in a beautiful setting.

About 2.30 pm until 3.15 at the garden. Entrance fee AUS$6 each.

We had a look at the map and saw that the aquirium was near, but when we got there, a queue was stretching out of the building so we didn't bother.

Another look at the map and Sydney museum was a short walk. We arrived at 4.00 pm and they said they closed at 5.00 pm. We took a chance and paid the entrance fee AUS$10.00 each. Actually we were very disappointed as we did it in about 20 minutes.

We walked down George Street to the Woolworths, bought some supplies and then made our way back to the hotel arriving at 6.00 pm.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb