AUSTRALIAN BEER...My First Jury Trial


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
August 23rd 2014
Published: August 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

AUSTRALIAN BEER...My First Jury Trial. With every beer comes a good story. Grab a beer and I'll tell you a story that makes John Grisham's seem like child's play...this one scary and true. I first met his wife...charged with jumping on the back of and punching a policeman who with other police was beating up her husband. Spat through the cell window in the face of another...must have been really... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

WAHOO PREMIUM ALEWAHOO PREMIUM ALE
WAHOO PREMIUM ALE

Western Australia
BALMAIN PALE ALEBALMAIN PALE ALE
BALMAIN PALE ALE

New South Wales
ENDEAVOUR PALE ALEENDEAVOUR PALE ALE
ENDEAVOUR PALE ALE

New South Wales
NAIL HOPPY SUMMER ALENAIL HOPPY SUMMER ALE
NAIL HOPPY SUMMER ALE

Western Australia
MURRAY'S WHALE ALEMURRAY'S WHALE ALE
MURRAY'S WHALE ALE

New South Wales
VALE INDIA PALE ALEVALE INDIA PALE ALE
VALE INDIA PALE ALE

South Australia
SLEEPING GIANT INDIA PALE ALESLEEPING GIANT INDIA PALE ALE
SLEEPING GIANT INDIA PALE ALE

Gage's Road Brewery, Western Australia
KOSCIUSZKO PALE ALEKOSCIUSZKO PALE ALE
KOSCIUSZKO PALE ALE

New South Wales
FERAL INDIA PALE ALEFERAL INDIA PALE ALE
FERAL INDIA PALE ALE

Western Australia
4 PINES KOLSCH4 PINES KOLSCH
4 PINES KOLSCH

A favourite...New South Wales
BOSTON'S MILL PALE ALEBOSTON'S MILL PALE ALE
BOSTON'S MILL PALE ALE

New South Wales
WICKED ELF PALE ALEWICKED ELF PALE ALE
WICKED ELF PALE ALE

New South Wales
MONKEY'S FIST PALE ALEMONKEY'S FIST PALE ALE
MONKEY'S FIST PALE ALE

Sail & Anchor...Western Australia



23rd August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog.
23rd August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog.
Thank you Roger for taking the time to read my blog and post a comment. First time I have shared in a blog what I do in my non-spare time...so glad I could share a beer with you doing so!
23rd August 2014

Wonderful
Loved the story, shame you didn't get paid but you got the result :) loving the pictures of the beers (especially the ref to Status Quo!) takes me back to our days of running the pub :)
23rd August 2014

Wonderful
Thanks for sitting behind the bar and hearing my story Jo. Publicans ex or otherwise are good at that. The sort of story one would enjoy over a beer...but the first time I could share the whole story of which the essence is in the detail.
23rd August 2014

Your best story yet...
but I'm looking forward to your efforts to top it. Congratulations to the new lawyer in your family, Anna-Louise! I'm sure she will continue the same values as her father. And here's a couple of better models for your favorite: Toohey's Extra Dry [photo=7221494]
23rd August 2014

Your best story yet...
Thanks Bob...I kinda agree. Wonderful I've finally had the opportunity to tell it! You knew what I do in my day job...but most TBers didn't. Thanks for your congrats to Anna-Louise. And thanks for the tip on the location of the Tooheys Extra Dry pics...of course...you and I on our deck...uploading now. I remembered the Opera House but we had European beers there!
23rd August 2014

Keep doing those things that make you different!
Wonderful story from an amazing person. Congrats to Anna-Louise, and sorry for laughing when you fell over the chair :-)
24th August 2014

Keep doing those things that make you different!
Thanks Jo from Anna-Lou and me. How good is it to be able to share these stories with friends around the world...exposing my heart and mind without adverse judgment?
23rd August 2014
CAT'S SHANK KOLSCH

Hmmmmm
You haven't been planting evidence have you Mr Hooper?
24th August 2014
CAT'S SHANK KOLSCH

Hmmmmm
He said he was thirsty...you'd do that wouldn't you Jo?
24th August 2014

Had the beer
What a great story! Great beer and proud of your daughter.
24th August 2014

Had the beer
Well good news MJ. Tell Dave I've just added 9 more beer pics for his after dinner tipple. Maybe we should meet up somewhere for some beers, some yarns and some hot blues some day, some place, some time...mmmm...we'd enjoy that!
24th August 2014

Bashers!
Glad the verdict was favourable to the defendant and the star witness. I guess justice could only have been fully served if the police involved were held accountable for their actions. But then society only sees violence as bad when it goes the wrong way on the power hierarchy. Fortunately the police weren't armed with anything more than batons...as is the case in some parts of the world.
24th August 2014

Bashers!
You raise some interesting points Jason. There was no mention of lying police or any implication they did so at the end of the case, nor that they were bashers which were implications in the verdict. As there were simply verdicts of Not Guilty, there were no findings on the other issues so they got away with it. I've never seen someone punished for lying even though it occurs in many cases! As for guns, the young cops were probationary and it was never raised whether they were armed or not. How lucky was the Defendant he was not shot! I guess he was lucky in a lot of ways as it turned out. I do not know whether the schoolgirl ever found out about the verdict. She would have left after her stint in the witness box. Would have been nice for her to know justice was served. Thanks for reading.
24th August 2014
TOOHEYS EXTRA DRY

The bearded, beered twins, and may justice prevail!
Very fun those photos of TBers and their suds! Pretty great first jury trial--how lucky was your client that the retired cop slipped and told the truth and that you were fast enough to catch it, and how unlucky that the Korean schoolgirl felt so abused by the first judge that she wouldn't speak again on your client's behalf. So much of jury trials is so capricious--lies abound, and who will the jury believe. After lots of abuse by the police in the US, some jurisdictions have required cops to wear cameras. When implemented, violence by and complaints again the police have plummeted. Oh, for a world of justice--how wonderful that you're contributing to this!
25th August 2014
TOOHEYS EXTRA DRY

The bearded, beered twins, and may justice prevail!
Very inciteful comments Tara. Also an example of the greatest skill an advocate can have in my opinion...the ability to think on your feet. Many cases I have won have swung on a word or throw away line that I caught and threw back as a curve ball accepted. An example here was when I felt the weight of the knife and got the schoolgirl to close her eyes. I took a punt the weight would shock her out of her silence.
25th August 2014

What a story!
Great story...and very short sighted of your clients not to have paid you. I suspect that in the not too distant future they would've been need of a good lawyer again. Congratulations to Anna-Louise - you and Denise must've been very proud.
25th August 2014

What a story!
What a story indeed Rachael. My longest blog by a mile, but I couldn't tell it properly without the salient ingredients. Really looking forward to your 100th blog...hoping for an absolute cracker. And hope it was an absolute surprise for you to scroll through the blogs on Front Page and see your portrait smiling back at you...modelling a beer bottle!!!!!
25th August 2014
CAT'S SHANK KOLSCH

Cat's choice?
I think Rocco looks more like a gin and tonic sort of chap to me.
25th August 2014
CAT'S SHANK KOLSCH

Cat's choice?
Rocco is certainly not a public bar cat Ren...maybe would enter the lounge at a scratch...pretty discerning as you can see from the pic. Hope you recognised Drew's arms in two of the pics and recall when I took them.
25th August 2014

You continue to make me laugh
David, you do make me laugh - this blog caused me to spray my coffee all over the laptop!...not just the story but also the photos & how you positioned the bottles. I should add your practice of the law has been consistent over the years still occassionaly pissing off the Judges, 'tho not so much falling over chairs.
25th August 2014

You continue to make me laugh
Never a dull moment as you know Denise. And as you know I make sure my cases are unique in presentation as there is nothing worse than a Judge not applying his/her full attention thinking all cases are the same.
25th August 2014

Surprises
Yes! It was a big surprise, but a nice photo - well done Mr Photographer. Yes, the 100th coming up....I've been mulling it over what I will do.....it will have to be special though!
25th August 2014

Congratulations!
To your daughter and to winning that case! The world seems like a better place with the Hoopers in it and the courtroom will surely find even more justice with TWO Hoopers getting in there. ;)))
25th August 2014

Congratulations!
Thanks Michelle from Anne-Louise and me. Thanks for spending the time to read this story that probably gives more insight into this humble dancer than my blogs usually do.
25th August 2014

Australian Beer......
Dave here.......great blog as always. Well scripted and kept me on the edge until the verdict! The epilogue....we are all smarter, the more beer we drink! Cheers!
25th August 2014

Australian Beer......
"We are all smarter, the more beer we drink!"...you said it Dave...not me! This blog was of course inspired by your World Beer thread. I don't think I've ever taken a photo of a beer bottle until I saw that thread. I previously only took photos of beer labels...so guess I have got smarter!
13th February 2015

One of the funniest blogs ever...!
Dave when I started blogging it was just for my family / friends (to make them jealous). I often didn't take the time to read other blogs because it's enough to write one, let alone read others. I have since changed my tune & am trying to squeeze in as many blogs here and there. I came across this particular blog back in the summer (I think?) and I literally was laughing myself silly (and few things make me laugh out loud so my husband was worried about me). Any-hoo, it was like a mad caper movie and I nominate John Cleese to act in it! I have now shared it with some friends and know they'll appreciate the humor/beer as much as me. From my little neck of the woods, hello from Canada, and keep up the great mad writing! Sal Gal!
18th February 2015

Sal Gal
Thanks for commenting. Makes for a great story that's for sure. And it's 100 percent true! And relevance to beer? None really but...who'd be interested in a story about beer? But one of intrigue, desperation while on my feet with an innocent client and the Judge against me...great I could tell the story. I'm presently in the Atacama Desert in Chile so nice to see your comment on a rare day of wifi access.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 22; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb