Day 43. Back to Sydney for Xmas.....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 9th 2013
Published: December 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Marriott Christmas TreeMarriott Christmas TreeMarriott Christmas Tree

It's now christmas
Early breakfast and taxi to the airport as we start our long journey home. As we decided to travel virgin for both legs of our flight home it meant getting back to Sydney and you cant get a flight from Queenstown to Sydney on a Tuesday! So it meant an overnight stop in Sydney.

We had to arrange an overnight stop in Sydney as there was no flight from Queenstown to Sydney tomorrow and we also thought that would be toooo much in one go! Originally I thought this would give me a good chance to get some shopping in but in truth I think we are both feeling the change and have definitely slowed down into going home mode.

We had a lovely taxi driver on our way to the airport and the first chatty one I think we have had all trip. His last piece of advice was to get one of our daughters to marry a kiwi so we could visit again!

Flight was very good and customs in Australia was very efficient, even though we ticked 2 yes boxes on the form (our driftwood for wooden articles question and Shotover/Milford Sound for exposure to
Pie facePie facePie face

That's not lindsay
fresh water). But the only supplementary question was "are your shoes wet" so we were soon on our way. In fact we were from landing on the Tarmac to hotel bedroom in an hour, including train journey.

We were back at the Marriott so the first difference was a massive Xmas tree in the foyer. And in fact, that was the big difference in Sydney. Last time it was early November, now we had definitely arrived in Xmas festivities. And I have the pictures of Xmas trees to prove it!

Bags dumped and we were out for lunch. I had decided I needed a 'pieface' pie. Pieface is a chain of pie shops in Australia . Sadly disappointing. Then on to the shops. Trouble is it's Xmas so it was like going to oxford street. And following a week in the laid back South Island it was a bit too much for us. Plus these days, any shopping in any city is exactly the same, all global brands. So we didn't last long in Westfield Sydney.

However we went on to Queen Victoria Building which I missed last time, which was much nicer. Still no shopping but it was very pretty and had a good coffee and cherry strudel! And it had the most amazing Xmas tree and Santa grotto.

We had heard that Darling harbour had 50 Santa's and as we were close we decided that we would pay them a visit and then get the ferry back to circular quay. We couldn't count 50 but there were a few! And lots of bars with happy hours so we spent a couple of hours drinking.

It was really nice to finish off with the ferry. I think one of Sydney's unique features is the way it uses it's water. It is full of so many different types of crafts all working side by side. The ferry we got was an all stops so it took a while and we visited the luna park so just a few more photo opportunities!!! There was a bit of a traffic jam due to a container ship being piloted out under the bridges.

In the end we decided that we would have dinner on our last night where we had it on our first. So suitably dressed off we went. Well a lot can happen in nearly 6 weeks and it had closed down!!!!!!! So we ended up in an Italian in the rocks. Nothing exciting but think it was all we needed.

Early night, ready for our long journey tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Queen Victoria BuildingQueen Victoria Building
Queen Victoria Building

Very well decorated
This was big This was big
This was big

Would need to be photo'd in sections
Fluffy headFluffy head
Fluffy head

Oh and there is something in the background


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb