Sydney Zoo Taronga


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 19th 2013
Published: March 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Decided to visit Sydney Zoo today as I am not sure how many of their animals I might see in the wild so thought I ought to take a look. Don't think I have been to a zoo for about twenty years. Walked across the bridge and started talking to a girl who had lived here for ten years. She was from China originally but elect because of the pollution and the weather. She taught IT at the college. We had a discussion on the English monarchy, the weather in the UK, the fact that she wanted more time to do the things she wanted, and what I would be doing on my travels. She said she had never been out of Sydney.

Arrived at the ferry in the overseas dock was the Cunard liner the Q.Mary 2, looked very posh.

Ferry to the zoo took about fifteen minutes, one of the first creatures was a Koala, he looked very cute and cuddly if a little sleepy. Next some wallabies and an emu. Followed by a kangaroo and. Tasmanian devil. A snow leopard who was asleep in the sun, who was very difficult to see in the shade the camouflage was amazing, but I have to say the highlight of my visit was watching two small elephants playing in the water. It was so lovely they kept pushing each other under the water , then snorkelling with their trunks. They found a buoy to play with and were taking it in turns to bounce it in the water. The whole time the mother elephant looked on to make sure they weren't getting too boisterous and when they got out of the water she gave them both a cuddle with her trunk. They must have been playing for at least twent minutes and were just really enjoying the water. I can't imagine I will ever see anything like that again so it made the day.

Returned by ferry to a pot of Earl Grey and a cream tea at sydney central wharf doesn't get much better than that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0948s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb