On the way back


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 21st 2013
Published: February 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We are now on our way home so this is my final post for this trip.

Before leaving the Mornington Peninsular, we drove to Brighton and I walked on the beach to photograph the colourful little bathing boxes. These date from Victorian times and edge the beach at Middle Brighton. I read that one sold for $260,000 in 2011. To my knowledge, they’re not found anywhere else in Australia.

Another battle through heavy highway traffic till we drove towards the mountains. Here we passed through very pretty, if very dry, farm country where sheep, cattle and alpacas grazed, as well as an olive grove and vineyard. Kings Lake, almost decimated in the big bushfires several years ago, is recovering with the trees showing some green regrowth.

It was very hot when we stopped at Mansfield for the night, in fact we closed up the motor home and turned on the air conditioning which we rarely do. I did wonder why we were in such dense mountain country with such heat and a hot wind blowing - it must be the only area in Victoria that hasn’t yet had a bushfire this summer.

We walked around town next morning before heading on. It was another hot day with a strong wind but thankfully we didn't come across any fires. There was smoke in the air further up the mountains though. The countryside continued to be even drier, with half-empty dams and bare dry paddocks - I felt for the farmers and the stock.

And so our holiday has come to an end and tomorrow we'll be home. We had a great time seeing some more of Tasmania, enjoyed the ferry and have had fun travelling through Victoria and southern NSW. There's so much to see and do in this great country of ours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Green .. just add waterGreen .. just add water
Green .. just add water

this is how it is when it rains - at the Southern Highlands … almost home


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb