Sydney Sun & Mon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 7th 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Watsons bayWatsons bayWatsons bay

Watson's Bay View
Sunday

JC awoke with the symptoms of man-flu (probably a cold!!). We had breakfast in the yacht moorings - enviously eyeing the $1m+ examples that were for sale there.

The plan had been to catch a ferry to Watson's Bay and then walk 6k or so down to Bondi beach, but becuse JC was not feeling 10/10 we opted for a train/bus ride to Bondi Beach. This was a pretty bad call - we got to Bondi Junction to find hundreds of others had planned similarly, but the bus companies were running a normal Sunday service!! We waited around for 20 minutes before giving up!!

Back on the trains we got to Central Quay and then jumped on a catamaran to Watson's Bay. We sat outside and enjoyed a delightful trip via Garden Island, Double Bay, Rose Bay - the trip included 'loads' of photo opportunities.

It was getting hot and so we ignored the 'famous' Doyles chippy and headed for a Gelato for some ice cream. We then walked along pacific path noting the where the Dunbar had been wrecked and nearly reaching the MacQuarrie Light house

JC's cold was getting worse and so headed
Opera HouseOpera HouseOpera House

Opera House
back to hotel where JC had a kip and Kate had a dip in the hotel's roof-pool. Early evening we popped over to the local Italian for some super grub and then caught an episode of Homeland on channel 10 in our room

Monday

Kate has now caught my bug and so we've delayed the Blue Mountain jaunt for a day. After a few jobbies (e.g. blog update and laundry visit) we make a 2nd (successful this time) attempt at visiting Bondi Beach - by successful I mean we were crammed into a bus for both the outward and return journeys. Our endeavours were scantly rewarded - Bondi Beach does not, IMO, match Manly Beach. Futhermore it was a calm day and so there little surfing to amuse us - an ice-cream did offer some consolation.

After Bondi, we visited the upmarket Elizabeth Bay. A very comfortable (and no doubt expensive) place to live - there were none of the yahoos we'd seen on the train returning from Bondi.

In the evening we headed into 'town' for an oriental meal - we noticed a queue outside a Thai restaurant (Thai Home) and, suspecting this was not
Tasman Sea from Watsons BayTasman Sea from Watsons BayTasman Sea from Watsons Bay

Tasman Sea from Watsons Bay
a bad sign, joined it. JC was pleased with his Red Thai Duck curry, although Kate thought her Beef stir-fry lacked variety. We both enjoyed a Lonanberry drink.

Kate's Thoughts

Kind of John to share his bug!

A mixed day- Bondi was disappointing- just a long sandy beach with lots of folk on it and no crashing waves. The buses as John said were packed and though I was pleased to be given a seat by a kind young man , I regarded it as a sign of how old and tired I must be lookling!

Elizabeth Bay- in walking distance of our hotel was small and peaceful - a welcome change from Bondi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bondi BeachBondi Beach
Bondi Beach

Bondi Beach
Elizabeth BayElizabeth Bay
Elizabeth Bay

Elizabeth Bay


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb