Sydney...check!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 30th 2011
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

How time flies, it's been go, go, go since we landed in Oz.

Our time in Sydney, was spent doing more or less the same things than any other tourist to Sydney would do. We basically went down a checklist of some things that most travel guide books would suggest as must-do's for Sydney:

1. See the Harbour Bridge and Opera House at sunset...check
2. See the Harbour from the water on a ferry to Manly Beach...check
3. Walk along the beautiful coastline from Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach...check (in the rain)
4. Visit the Sydney Aquarium and wild life park at Darling harbour...check
5. Time permitting, a day tour out to the Hunter Valley wine region...and check.

That's pretty much sums up our short visit to Sydney, and we had a fantastic time despite generally poor weather which put a damper on any potential beach-based activities. It’s a beautiful city and we felt incredibly under-dressed at our downtown hotel location in our ratty back-packer clothes. So much for fine-dining on the waterfront. ;-)

Our plans for Australia are significantly different than how we traveled in New Zealand. Rather than driving the huge distances between major centres we've decided to take internal flights to save time, and energy for the things that we really want to see. Also, instead of camping in a tent we're going up-scale by renting campervans which will be a nice change from the days of packing up a wet tent every morning. After our 5 days in Sydney, we fly to Melbourne where we'll spend 9 days traveling the Great Ocean Road and the Yarra Valley. Then we fly from Melbourne to Alice Springs for another 8 days in a campervan to explore the outback. From there we fly to Perth and spend about 25 days exploring Western Australia, with the main highlight being snorkelling with whale sharks at Ningaloo Reef.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Luna parkLuna park
Luna park

Creepy...
Wine tourWine tour
Wine tour

The last of several wineries on our Hunter Valley tour.
Scruffy Murphy'sScruffy Murphy's
Scruffy Murphy's

This one's for E!
Crazy bananna priceCrazy bananna price
Crazy bananna price

Compared to $1.99/kg in New Zealand!


8th May 2011

;-)
Nice photos of the Opera House ;-) Enjoy.
8th May 2011

Nice Photos!
The panorama is beautiful, but I think I most enjoy the photo of Luna Park. I agree - creepy indeed, but that reflection of the eye in the water ... well done!
13th May 2011

Nice Panorama
Hi, Thanks for sharing the panorama. The best so far. Thumb up :)

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 31; qc: 131; dbt: 0.1525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb