Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 4th 2011
Published: January 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Monday 20th Dec- we left the hostel in Christchurch at 3.15am to head to the airport and catch a 7am flight. We had a fairly small plane and some bad turbulence over the Tasman Sea due to strong winds but yet again Air New Zealand was fantastic. We got an airport transfer to the hostel and spent the morning updating blogs and photos while waiting to check in. The hostel was really central, right next to town hall and George Street. The room was huge which was a bonus as we were staying there for 2 weeks. After heading to the supermarket and eating dinner, it was a very early night.

Tuesday 21st Dec- We decided to do the city open top bus tour to get our bearings of the city, had our first sight of the opera house, the harbour bridge, darling harbour and the rocks. In the afternoon we transferred to the Bondi tour and saw bondi beach for the first time and north bondi where there were some stunning houses with amazing views. It was really good to get to know the different parts of the city and the weather was nice. We had another early night as we were still catching up from New Zealand. I think the people in our room thought we were really boring.

Wednesday 22nd Dec- I decided it was time for a few new summer clothes as I had room in my bag for the first time since leaving home and the weather was getting warmer by the day. On the plus side lots of shops had pre-Christmas sales so I got some bargains including some new vest tops, two dresses and a skirt. Was really hard not to go crazy and buy a lot more and it made me realise that I do actually miss shopping. Natalie from New Zealand had moved to our hostel as her's turned out not to be too great and that night I went with her, Alisha and Ema to a few bars around Sydney, ending up in the infamous Scruffy Murphy’s Irish pub.

Thursday 23rd Dec- Decided to have a cultural day and headed to the Australia Museum which had interesting exhibits about the natural history of Australia, its animals and the native people. In the afternoon we then took a walk around the botanical gardens which is huge and full of bats before sitting on George Street, drinking coffee and people watching.

Friday 24th Dec- Christmas Eve- Spent the morning searching for a disposable BBQ for Christmas day with no luck so bought some food with a plan to cook it at the hostel in the morning and then have a cold meat picnic at Bondi in the afternoon. In the afternoon the hostel organised a free trip to Coogie Beach with a free BBQ and Alcohol so we went along with Natalie and Rich who are in our room. The beach was great, the weather amazing and the goon (cheap wine that comes in a box) was flowing. Had a dip in the sea which was really nice apart from the jelly fish. That night as it was Christmas Eve everyone in the hostel headed to the bar next door.

Saturday 25th Dec- Christmas Day- Woke up in the morning and me, Beth and Katy exchanged gifts which made it feel slightly more like Christmas. Katy had even got us stockings. We then had bacon sandwiches for breakfast before getting ready to head to Bondi beach. Rich and Nat Traynor came with us and we met Alisha and Ema there. As you could not drink alcohol on the beach we pitched up on the lawn behind wearing our Christmas hats and pulling crackers in the sunshine before sunbathing, wave hopping and drinking into the early evening. It would not be Christmas with out games so we played some cards and charades before catching the bus back into down. We even got some carol singing started on the bus journey. I don't think I had ever eaten so little on Christmas day but when we got back to the hostel Theresa and Lee did give me a mince pie. Later on we wanted to go out but not many places were open so we ended up in a cafe/bar in kings cross square and instead of turkey sandwiches for supper we ordered pizza.

Sunday 26th Dec- Boxing Day- We took a walk down to the harbour with Rich and Nat and had missed the start of the Yacht race but had a drink by the opera house over looking the harbour bridge. We then had lunch in the park at the quay and after a rainy start the weather was boiling. Spent the afternoon chilling out in Hyde Park and the evening playing cards.

Monday 27th Dec- Headed to the opera house for a one hour behind the scenes tour. We had a guide and got told about the history of the opera house, the design and construction and we got to see inside the different theater spaces. We had agreed to meet up with everyone from New Zealand as most of them were now in Sydney, so after having some goon in the room headed to Scary Canary to meet Alisha, new addition Myra, Natalie, Gayle, Stuart, Graham, Paul. We also took along the people from our room, Nat and Rich's friend jack had now arrived and we had met Ross and Mick too so there was a good group of us. The night ended at Scruffy Murphy’s with lots of dancing and a funny walk home.

Tuesday 28th Dec- Me, Beth, Rich and Jack decided to make the most of the afternoon and headed to Circular Quay to catch a ferry to Cockatoo Island. It was a great ferry ride, passing the Opera house and going under the Harbour Bridge. We had a walk around the island which had great views over to the city.

Wednesday 29th Dec- We all got up early to head to the Blue Mountains; there was a huge group of us. We caught the train there, had some breakfast in the town and then took a walk down to the viewing area. The views across the canyon were amazing and the blue haze got better ad the day went on. Me, Aaron, Rich and Jack decided to do the walk around the valley floor, taking in the three sisters, going down the giant’s steps and along the valley before reaching the world’s steepest train and taking that back up to the top.

Thursday 30th Dec- Sydney- Manly- In the afternoon Me, Rich and Jack took the ferry over to Manly thinking that the others were already there but turned out they were at Bondi. The ferry journey was really great though and we docked in Manly Bay before walking over to Manly surf beach, the beach was really busy but we found a spot and spent the afternoon sunbathing and taking dips in the sea. Took a while to get back as the ferries were really busy and when we got back we then had to shop for tomorrow as it was New Years Eve so stocked up on food and drink in preparation.

Friday 31st Dec- New Years Eve- After closely studying the map of view points for the New Years Eve fireworks and finding one which wasn't going to be too crowded and that you could take your own food and drink to it was my job to get everyone there, so the pressure was on but it all worked out fine and we caught the bus to North Sydney and walked down to the National Park at Bradley's Head. We arrived at 10 am and there were already people waiting to be let. After initially saying no one would be let down to the waters edge until 6pm they let us through at 12.30pm and we got a great spot on a hill with views of the opera house and the bridge. It was then a day of waiting which involved eating, drinking, sunbathing, playing games, paddling in the water, wearing 2011 crowns and glasses, chatting to policemen. We watched and amazing sunset and then at 9pm there were some initial fireworks before midnight hit and the amazing 12 minute firework display commenced. It was hard to believe that I was actually there watching them after seeing them on TV so many times. We then lit some sparklers before heading back to the hostel which took a while but everyone was in good spirits.

Saturday 1st Jan 2011- After getting to bed at gone 3am it was a morning in bed followed by an afternoon chilling in the park. In the evening we headed to the casino which was just as flash as anything in Las Vegas and over looking Darling Harbour. Spent the evening watching Man United and half of Liverpool in the cinema style sports area and having a few little bets.

Sunday 2nd Jan 2011- Last day in Sydney. While Katy did the bridge climb me and Beth walked to the top of the observation tower where we had amazing views of the city, bridge, opera house and harbour as well as of North Sydney so we got some great pictures. Gayle and friend Becky who she had been staying with met us and we headed down to Darling Harbour for a late lunch before heading back to the hostel to finish packing and to say good bye to Nat, Rich, Jack and Aaron. Lynne and Pete, Katy's great aunt and uncle picked us up from the hostel and drove us to their house on the central coast at Point Clare.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb