Fireworks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 2nd 2011
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

31/12/2010
We set off for Mrs Macquaries Point in the Botantical Gardens at 10am. We caught our favourite free 555 bus to Circular Quay then followed the signs, which took us to the front of the queue, there was a 20 metre gap and then a load of people near some tents, we asked one of the staff if we had to queue back there and he said no just queue here, so we unintentionally queue jumped, which saved us about 4 hours! We found a spot near the bridge and then spent the day drinking with some of Oli’s friends, burning in the 30 degree heat and waiting for the fireworks. I also managed to deter a rather large Chinese family from setting up a camp site in a 5 foot by 3 foot space in front of us by putting my feet in their tent. There was a smaller fireworks display at 9pm, and this revealed we were not best placed to see the fireworks. By the time 12 came round, we had abandoned our spot we’d held on to for 14 hours and were running around like headless chickens trying to get a view of the bridge for the fireworks. Afterwards we tried to meet up with Steve and the others, but most of the streets were closed off and we ended up wandering around for an hour trying to find them. Then we walked through the 1.5 million other people who were making their way back from the Harbour area. Usual traffic rules did not apply and I rather enjoyed jaywalking past a policeman.
01/01/2011
We tried to go shopping today but everything shut, so we headed to Darling Harbour instead, we paid $4.90 to go on the Monorail and went did two full circuits to see the sights and decide what to do. Then we walked around Darling Harbour and had an ice cream. Next we walked over Pyrmont bridge and then lay in the sun on some grass near Darling Harbour and slept, people watched and read a book. Phil and Lauren came round to our apartment around 5, and we ate garlic prawns, garlic bread with garlic hummus! Then we played cheerio poker and drank cheap box wine. Went out for something to eat, settled on a place in Chinatown called Shinara which was an all you can eat BBQ buffet for $19.50, which turned out to be one of the most bizarre meals we’ve ever eaten. We were given a gas stove and some plates, when we asked for cutlery we were presented with spoons scissors and tongs! Then we went off to collect as much meat as possible. There were several different types of meat, some of which was easily identifiable, such as the usual chicken, beef and pork, then there were whole squids including the head and then some meat we couldn’t identify, even after eating it. Afterwards we went back to the hotel to drink more box wine and play Sevens.
02/01/2011
We woke up early today to pack ready for check out at 10am, and wash and dry 3 loads of washing. We tried to eat our leftover food but ran out of time, resulting in us eating garlic bread in reception. There is also a compartment of Oli’s suitcase which has wine, butter and tomato sauce in it, hopefully Qantas will be gentle. We left our luggage in the hotel and headed for a sunbathe in Hyde Park. We fly to Brisbane at 6pm tonight, hopefully it wont be raining!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



3rd January 2011

I'm waiting for the Koala bears!!
hiya I have been reading your shedule and I am now waiting for the Koala bears, bet you both had a good time at the theme parks. Phyllis spoke to me and she is following your every move now - had a bit of trouble sending you her comments and had to enlist Andrew's help - so it you got one would you mind just letting her know. we are going back to school tomorrow -both have colds and are feeling rubbish! never mind only 7 weeks to a holiday! will be in touch soon love to you both mum and David xx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb