Mother & Daughter trip to Sydney, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 17th 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ashleigh and I had a short stay in Sydney either side of a youth conference held for teenagers suffering from Crohn's, and we both absolutely loved it!

I was last in Sydney 18 years ago and have to say I enjoyed it much more this time around - in fact I couldn't find fault. It was beautiful, easy to get around and there is lots for all ages to see and do.

We arrived late afternoon from Hamilton on Pacific Blue, caught the train into Wynyard Station (very easy - follow the signs at the airport arrival hall and purchase a ticket from the booth by the escalators), walked across the street to our hotel, the Travelodge Wynyard on York St right in the CBD.

We didn't bother to unpack, just dumped our bags and headed out to explore. By this time it was around 5:30, the sun was beginning to set and commuters were heading home. We made our way down George St and literally within a few minutes were were in the Rocks District - fantastic! There was a massive cruise ship berthed at the base of the Harbour Bridge - the harbour is just so spectacular. After a quick wander around we grabbed a burger at this little place where you can sit outside and watch the lights twinkling over the harbour.

The next morning we were up very early (body clock hadn't reset yet) so we made our way down to Darling Harbour and were the first in to the Aquarium. We seem to be fans of aquariums and we have been to a few around the world and this one was up there with the best. It was great! - lots of Australian natives, plenty of big sharks, crocs, a platypus (which we got to see for a split second) and dugongs. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it.

We had lunch at the food hall at Darling Harbour (now that place has changed since I was last there) before strolling thru the park to Chinatown and the market. Ashleigh went gaga in the market, spending all her allowance on ipod gizmo's, hair extensions, bags etc etc.

By mid afternoon we were knackered and decided to catch the free 555 bus down George Street back to the hotel. After a quick recharge in our hotel we jumped on the 555 back to Chinatown for a delicious meal at one of the many little restaurants in the area - honestly, you'd think you were somewhere in Asia.

I wanted to check out the Apple Store so we made our way back down George on foot, doing more shopping along the way as it was late night and everything was still open - Yay! To me, the highlight was the Queen Victoria Building. The architecture of this arcade is amazing, coupled with the variety of shops offered makes it a must visit spot for anyone interested in shopping. They even have a concierge who is happy to spend some time telling the history of the building which made it all the more interesting. Who would believe it was to be demolished back in the 70's??

The next morning we headed down to the harbour and went for a walk along Circular Quay to the Opera House and beyond to the Botanical Gardens. It was a bit overcast today, but the habour still looked stunning and I could have sat all day looking at the boats. We didn't get too far in the gardens as Ashleigh wasn't interested and complained that it looked too far to walk to Mrs Macquaries chair in her opinion. Oh well, I'll just have to come back.....not that I need an excuse... Instead we walked back to the ferries and jumped on the next one around to Darling Harbour which gave a really good (and cheap) view of the city from the water - again, I'm awestruck.

For lunch we went to a Chinese restaurant to have some Dim Sum for lunch served on trollies being pushed around the room. It was obviously a popular place as it was packed.

More shopping (gee teenage girls are a pain when it comes to spending money!), back to the hotel to pack before catching a bus out to the Northern Beaches (Collaroy to be specific) for our weekend conference. I've never been out to this area before and I very much impressed! It was just beautiful and quite different to the rest of Sydney.

We returned into the city from Collaroy by bus then caught the famous Manly ferry across the harbour back to Circular Quay. Our last night was spent at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn - chosen specifically for it's location . The hotel is right bang smack in the heart of the Rocks district, almost under the Harbour Bridge with spectacular views of the harbour, Opera House and bridge from the rooftop pool area (and some rooms if you pay top $$ for it).

There was a market on in the surrounding streets and we just managed to catch the tail end of it. From what I could see, things were pricey but from a tourist point of view, it looked very good and worthwhile. Unfortunately we were a bit late and most stalls were being packed up.

We grabbed a pizza for dinner and sat on the hotel rooftop oogling over the gorgeous harbour and watching all the bats flying overhead going to wherever they go every night.

The next morning I dragged a very tired girl out of bed and we walked to the halfway point of the Harbour Bridge. I would have liked to climb one of the towers, but unfortunately it didn't open until 10am and we had a flight to catch. I have to put it on the "next time" list with everything else.

All in all we were very impressed with Sydney - and as I missed out on some non-teenager-specific activities, I think I will just have to come back again in the not too distant future (oh dear, never mind....)


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb