Part Two: The Return to Oz


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 5th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, here is the rest of the run down to Sydney.....

So, from Airlie Beach, we then got the bus to Rockhampton, where our hostel picked us up and took us to Emu Park...

ROCKHAMPTON/EMU PARK
07 FEB 06 - 09 FEB 06
We just chilled out here for the afternoon. The next day we got the ferry across to Great Keppel Island, an island of many beaches and not many people. We walked around the island a bit before settling down on the beach. Around lunch time, a massive thunderstorm chased us from the beach, so we sat it out and then returned to our spot for some afternoon snoozing. Caught the ferry back, had a relaxing evening.

BUNDABERG/MON REPOS
09 FEB 06 - 10 FEB 06
The hostel we had chosen did a special package that took you to Mon Repos to see the turtle rookery. It is an area crucial to the loggerhead turtles,as they come her to lay their eggs. They are an endangered species and the work done here is so important to their survival. So basically, you arrive at about 7.30ish. We were in Group One, so if there was any action, we would see it first. Asit was the end of the ensting season we had been told it was very unlikeley we would see a large turtle coming to lay her eggs. I've got to say I was just happy if we could see some hatchlings! About half an hour into a talk about the turtles and area, a volunteer comes to inform us that we have a special treat tonight- a Loggerhead has come to lay her eggs! So, Group 1 and 2 are called forward to take the dark walk down to the beach, where we witness the mummy turtle laying her eggs- wow! It was so amazing! After watching this until she mad her way back down to the sea, we went back to the visitor centre and waited until 10.30ish, when we were told some hatchlings were making their way into the world..... So off we go again.... this was so amazing as well, they are so tiny! You just see them breaking the surface off the sand and then they head down the beach. However, the conservation workers had a special net which stopped them from walking too far, so we could all get a good look at them. After a while, some of us (including Luke and I) were told to stand in a line down to the sea (with our backs to the sea), holdng torches facing up the beach, pointing at the feet of the person in front. As the hatchlings instinctively head for the light, which, naturally, is the point just above the horizon, we were helping them take their firts steps in life. They will return here to lay their eggs for the rest of their lives. It was such an amazing night, to witness this miracle of life.

So, we get to bed about 1am, and are getting up at 6 to get the bus to Rainbow Beach.

RAINBOW BEACH
10 FEB 06 - 12 FEB 06
We just ahve a relaxed couple of days here- and book our trip to Frazer Island. The beach is beautiful here- and wide enought tio drive on, so you see cars and buses driving up and down it too!

FRAZER ISLAND
12 FEB 06 - 13 FEB 06

Most people do Frazer Island the cheapest way- which is a self-drive with 10 people in a jeep and camping.

We have decided to go on a 2 day/ 1 night guided trip of the island. We figured we would get more out of it this way, as we would actually learn about the island. Frazer Island is the largest sand island in the world- it is basically like one big sand dune- except there is also rainforest growing out of it too! Our first day takes us to Lake Wabby, a green lake reached by rainforest and big sand dunes (I start to feel like I know what it might be like in a dessert). Ther are huge catfish in the lake, and also little fishthat come and exfoliate you- it's very weird! After that, we zoom along the beach to the resort where we are staying tonight. Here, we get a huge BBQ lunch before heading back down the beach to Eli Creek. This is a freezing fresh water creek that you can float down- we saw a huge eel in it and also a snake coiled up next to the bank! EEEEEK! Then we drive down 75-mile beach to the Pinnacles and Couloured Sands, before going to Indian Head, a huge outcrop of rock. We climb to the tomp and get great views- we even see rays, turtles and (we think) dolphins swimming in the water below. We the head back to the resort for a relaxing evening and a good feed!

Our guide, Roachie, is fountain of knowledge, and he tells us all about the flora and fauna along the way. This way we actually get to learn about the unique environment we're visting.

The next day we visit Central Station (no, not for trains people!) and another creek that we can drink from. We then visit the famous Lake Mackenzie- it is indeed beautiful. It's a shame we had to share it with hundreds of other people, but most people are on Frazer just to see this lake! So we relax there for a couple fo hours. After lucnh, we drive back along the beach to the barge that will take us back to the mainland. I sit up fromt with Roachie- which is awesome. Basically this is a specially-made bus to drive on sand dunes etc- so think of a bus on monster-truck wheels and you're nearly there. On the way back, we actually see a large turtle stuck in the sand. Roachie jumps ouit to try and put him back in the sea, but as he is wearing hiking boots he cant's get close enough because of the wabes, so, as I am wearing flip flops, I offer to do it for him. The poor turtle did not look very well at all- but in I waded, as deep as I could before releasing him back into the sea. We think he had eaten a plastic bag- whcih blocks uop their insides and eventually kills them. Of course they don't realise it's not food, so it is our responsibility to not let plastic bags get into the seas (or anywhere) where they pose a danger to wildlife.

As the bus had come from Noosa, via Rainbow Beach, to pick us up, we asked if we could get a lift all the wayto Noosa (as we were heading there the next dayon the Greyhound anyway). So we did- we drove the entire way along the beach!!! So that was fun, and with an ice-cream stop on the way!

WELL. THIS IS AS FAR AS IT GOES. I HAD WRITTEN THIS AGES AGO AND NOT PUBLISHED IT!

RIGHT GUYS....I AM VERY SORRY, I HAVE TRIED MY HARDEST TO KEEP UP BUT I AM JUST HAVING TOO MUCH FUN! I AM NOW IN MEXICO- SO WAAAAAAAAAY BEHIND! A BAD CASE OF TRAVELBLOG LAG...... I AM GOING TO TYPE IT ALL UP ONCE I AM HOME, SO THOSE WHO WANT TO READ IT CAN..... I NOW HAVE JUST OVER 4 WEEKS LEFT BEFORE HEADING HOME ON THE 30TH MAY....SO I'LL HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU THEN. LOTS OF LOVE XXXX

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb