Bars, Beaches and Bridges....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 11th 2008
Published: December 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Bondi BeachBondi BeachBondi Beach

Who wouldn't want to spend a day surfing and swimming here?!
A visit to Sydney should include a trip to the beach (or two!). They have lots of them and they are spectacular. We took in the 2 most famous; Bondi Beach and Manly Beach. They are easily accessible by transit (land and water) and surpisingly quick to get to.
Our visit to Bondi was late in the day but the beach was still packed. We took the coastal walk from Bondi to Bronte beach (passing Tamarama beach on the way). The walk along these cliffs provides scenic ocean views and entertainment just by watching the surfers. Dinner beachside at Bronte beach was well worth the walk.
The ferry ride to Manly Beach is as good as any boat tour Sydney has to offer. So you should go even if you don't plan to spend the day there just to get this water view of Sydney. We didn't spend as much time on our excursion out to Manly beach. The ferry from downtown drops you off at the end of a pedestrian mall lined with surf shops...just in case you forgot to bring your beach clothes.
If you only have time for 1 beach visit...go to Bondi. Can't explain why...but we liked Bondi Beach better.

We had lots of rain during our week in Syndey. When the skies finally cleared late in the week we were at last able to make our way to Opera Bar. Right on the waterfront and next to the Opera House this place is packed with tourists and locals and very lively. The DJ spins some groovin tunes while you sip your drinks and take in the views. Good people watching at Opera Bar.

There are several ways to visit the Harbour Bridge. Walking over on foot (we did this), climbling the pylon at the south-east end of the bridge (we also did this) or going on the Harbour Bridge Climb (gave this one a miss as it was very pricey).
The pylon visit offers great views of the city and historical information on the construction of this famous bridge. We're pretty sure this was the right decision when choosing between this (A$9.50 each) and the Bridge Climb (A$188-A$295).


Next stop...Cairns in the Tropical North




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Opera BarOpera Bar
Opera Bar

Bartender! I'll have a double!!!
Chris and Andra on the PylonChris and Andra on the Pylon
Chris and Andra on the Pylon

This is what we look like on top of the Harbour Bridge Pylon. Kinda the same as we do on the street level....
Looking over the Harbour BridgeLooking over the Harbour Bridge
Looking over the Harbour Bridge

Look near the top of this photo and you can see people on the Bridge Climb
Harbour Bridge - Opera HouseViewHarbour Bridge - Opera HouseView
Harbour Bridge - Opera HouseView

Looking down on the Opera House from the pylon
Harbour Bridge - City ViewHarbour Bridge - City View
Harbour Bridge - City View

Looking back a the city centre from the pylon.


Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb