New Years Eve 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 31st 2007
Published: January 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well 2007 has been quite a weird year......both quitting our jobs...... and heading off overseas with vague plans of what the next year or two holds! To get to the end of December seems very strange as the last 6 months has flown by at an incredible pace........and soon we will be back on the road with only a few months of travelling left!! I know the number of blog entries has fallen to Zero this month...... but we havent really been up to much that is worthy of telling you via our blog. When you actually look back at the the things you can see and achieve in a month traveling, it just shows you how good it was to take a break from what is drilled into you as being normality.

New Years was always going to be about one thing over here.......the fireworks.......as everybody raves on about how good they are and whether they will be better than the last years display. After getting up quite early....all over the news there were stories of people camping out as early as 7am to grab the best places to see the show! Yep......these people must be NUTS!! Bex on her way to work saw loadsa people on route with huge coolboxes ready to sit all day and wait in the seering heat.....a good job this wasnt our plan as we dont even own a coolbox!!

Our New Years started off with a meal at a the Opium Den.....a local thai restaurant, which we hurried our way though to get back to the apartment to watch the first lot of fireworks at 9pm. Our apartment block had sold tickets to the roof to watch the fireworks and was really busy when we got there! The first display was pretty good and was on 5/6 barges up and down the harbour spanning a huge distance. The thing that we noticed the most during this display was the numbers of flashes from cameras everywhere which at times distracted you from the actual fireworks.....just to let you know over a million and a half people were watching the show!!

The next 3 hours involved drinking......sparklers....and a huge cuban cigar. We somehow managed to get the best seats in the house on our roof except for the 4 people in front of us....and were blown away by the midnite display! Just over 15 mins of non stop fireworks from the bridge.....the 5/6 barges....and across the skyscrapers that make up the Sydney skyline.......words cannot describe how good this was to be here and see (so ive attached a video!! Modern wonders eh??).





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb