Sydney - who said cricket was a boring sport?!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
January 6th 2005
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sydney Harbour Sydney Harbour Sydney Harbour

One of those iconic views which includes the Opera house in the foreground and the Harbour Bridge in the background.
From South Africa I moved onto Sydney, and when I arrived I felt like Brooks in Shawshank. The world had gone and got itself in a big damn hurry. Instead of the sedate pace of South African life there were people absolutely everywhere. It was quite weird after six weeks away from it.

Anyway Sydney is cool, and as I have explored the city more have really enjoyed it. Christmas Day here was actually pretty rubbish, the weather was cold and windy but I headed down to Bondi Beach all the same. Not really much going on down there so after a couple of hours I simply wandered back. Christmas away from the family - even if it was in Sydney, just wasn't Christmas. New Years Eve on the other hand was something else. Gary and Neil, the guys who I had travelled with back in South Africa, headed down to the waterfront about 3 o'clock in the afternoon. They happened to be selling crates of beer down there and the sun was shining, the ladies were in bikinis and so we thought it rude not to get a couple of crates in and plonk ourselves down. Our bit of grass had a view of the harbour bridge and the Opera House, and before we knew it a lot of beer had been drunk and it was 9 o'clock and the first fireworks display was kicking off! This was just a warm up for the midnight showing which was just out of this world. Just the most incredible barrage of fireworks being launched from a pair of barges in the harbour and from the top of the harbour bridge!!! There was also a six story high disco ball hanging off the bridge that was meant to do something amazing but in the end just sort of sat there and glowed!! Not to worry though, as a whole was just fantastic and if you get the chance make sure you do a New Year in Sydney. The place is a bit crazy but its all worthwhile and so much fun.

On January 2nd managed to organise a group of 6 of us to go down to the SCG (Sydney cricket ground) and watch the first day of the New Year's Test between Australia and Pakistan. As usual at the cricket what happened on the field was pretty irrelevant, but the
New Years EveNew Years EveNew Years Eve

Neil and I after a few cans!
drinking and banter in the stands was absolutely amazing. If you want to be in the thick of the action block 18 of the cheap seats is the place to be. Crazy chants, about 100 yellow t-shirted fools, beer fights, fist fights, girls lifting their tops, the worlds longest beer snake, bar closed early because of the trouble - and people say cricket is boring. I probably only saw about 4 of the 9 wickets that fell out on the field as I was watching the crowd for most of the day!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

New Years Eve fireworks New Years Eve fireworks
New Years Eve fireworks

The harbour bridge spectacularly lit up.
Sydney Cricket Ground Sydney Cricket Ground
Sydney Cricket Ground

Glen McGrath preparing for the first ball of the New Years Day Test match.
SCG atmosphereSCG atmosphere
SCG atmosphere

Me and the boys enjoying the banter at the Test Match.


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb