Roadtrip! - Sydney and big things along the way


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
April 11th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Driving to Sydney


The big submarine!The big submarine!The big submarine!

And not a drop of water in sight!
After living in Australia for two and half years it has taken me until now to visit Sydney! (I have been there with work but that doesn't count!)

We had no plans for the long Easter weekend but at the last minute decided "why not drive to Sydney".

Along the way we stopped off to have a look at the big sub in Holbrook - a submarine miles from any water! And the Big Merino in Goldburn! We left Melbourne at 5am on Friday and hoped to make it to the outskirts of Sydney that night. However, an early start on top of a late night (had been to the Corner Hotel to see Bela Fleck & the Flecktones the night before) meant we didn't quite make it. We stopped in Mittagong about 100km from Sydney. We made it to Sydney the next day and took a drive over the Harbour Bridge before going to our hotel in Glebe. The view driving over the bridge the view wasn't that great but I did get a glimpse of the Opera house and it was a good way to see the structure of the bridge up close.

We spent the
The Big MerinoThe Big MerinoThe Big Merino

Can you spot me?!
afternoon in Manly (dodging the rain!!). We caught a ferry from the bustling Circular Quay and passed by the Opera house on the way. The ferries in Sydney are a great way to travel. In the evening we met up with Lucky, walking around Darling Harbour and catching the monorail to Chinatown for dinner. After that we ended up in The Rocks having drinks in the oldest pub in Sydney - been there since 1828.

On Easter Sunday we caught a ferry all the way from Circular Quay, up the river to Parramatta. It's about an hour's cruise but Daytripper tickets are accepted so great value. Then we caught a train and a bus to get to Bondi beach! The weather wasn't very good but the water still felt warm - just dipped my feet in! Afterwards we got a train back to King's Cross so I could have a brief look at this 'salubrious' suburb.

It took us all of Monday to drive back. We stopped in the small town of Gundagai where we discovered some really interesting old bridges and a fantastic lookout spot.

Roadtrips rock!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Me at Circular QuayMe at Circular Quay
Me at Circular Quay

With the Harbour Bridge behind me
The Harbour BridgeThe Harbour Bridge
The Harbour Bridge

Waiting for a boat to Manly
Lunar ParkLunar Park
Lunar Park

We've got one in Melbourne too!
No they're not ants!No they're not ants!
No they're not ants!

People climbing the Harbour Bridge
Sean on the ferry to ManlySean on the ferry to Manly
Sean on the ferry to Manly

It was a bit cold. And rainy!
The Harbour Bridge at nightThe Harbour Bridge at night
The Harbour Bridge at night

On the ferry back from Manly
Sydney at nightSydney at night
Sydney at night

Taken on the ferry


9th November 2007

heh...
Hi Lou.... I got ur comment...thanks..always nice to hear someone is keeping an eye on u.... have u finished as the last blog was sydney and that was april? Im in Vietnam at mo...5 weeks till home after a year and a half...arrgghh!! Brigette x

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb