Sydney, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
February 20th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Days 32 - 35, February 16-20, 2007, Sydney, Australia

Wow! Sydney is incredible!!!! We want to go back already!!!! The harbor is incredibly beautiful and so picturesque from every vantage point. We took a tour of the city on the first day to help us get the lay of the land and see the most famous sights first. This, of course, included the famous Sydney Opera House. Our tour took us through the opera house which is by no means just for operas. There are several venues housed in the building. One of course for the various operas performed but also an amazing concert hall as well as two other smaller stages for various types of performances. We went on a four hour circle tour around the city’s various sights after the opera house tour. We visited the famous Bondi Beach where when the surfs up the surfers are there! Interestingly, this area of water is enclosed with a shark fence! We didn’t swim….didn’t want to find out if there were any holes in the nets. We could have though—the temperature was just right at about 84 degrees and it was beautifully sunny! The next day we got up and out and headed to Darling Harbour where there was a lot of action. We went to the aquarium there, the Australian Wildlife Center, the Maritime Museum, and rode the monorail around this area. The Maritime museum rivals some of our Smithsonian museums! We toured an Australian submarine and cruiser there and wished we’d had more time to see more. The Wildlife center was also a hit as we saw and learned about koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, snakes, rodents, lizards and lots of other creatures that are found in Australia. On our third day there, we went to the markets, the Rocks and Paddys markets. Paddy's market is right next to Chinatown in Sydney so we celebrated the Chinese New Year with all of the people there in China Town. We had a very interesting meal in a restarant there as well! On our fourth day there, we took a fast ferry, called a Jetcat, to Manly Beach, another beautiful and famous beach in Sydney. While in Manly, we collected sand for our "Around the World" sand collection, walked along the beach, shopped a little, and had lunch. We took a regular ferry back to the Circular Quay area in Sydney. That afternoon we visited the Queen Victoria Building (beautiful shopping area) and St. Mary's Cathedral where we attended Mass. Then it was time to pack! AGAIN! We had to get ready to board the largest ocean liner in the world, the Queen Mary 2. Pictures to come.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View of QM2 in Sydney to pick us up!View of QM2 in Sydney to pick us up!
View of QM2 in Sydney to pick us up!

This was around 7:00 in the morning--we took this picture from our hotel room.
QE2 arriving in Sydney QE2 arriving in Sydney
QE2 arriving in Sydney

We are on the QM2 taking this picture getting ready to depart Sydney.


26th February 2007

Great to read up on your travels!
Australia sounds wonderful. We are "going" to Australia next month in the library for Accelerated Reading. We'll have to show your web site photos when you post them. Students continue to stop in the hallway and study the map of your journey. You have made some progress around the surface of that map. We think of you all often and enjoy checking for and reading your journal entries. Keep writing!

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb