Sydney walk with elizabeth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 9th 2021
Published: November 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Bondi to Manly Walk is a coastal and harbour-side walking track between Australia’s two most famous surf beaches, Bondi Beach and Manly Beach. I have not been able to join Elizabeth on all sections of the walk but was glad to be able to join her on the 10th section she had made starting at Shark Beach and yes that is a shark net in the photo.

The entire length of the Walk is 80km and today’s section was mostly on bush walking tracks with magnificent views of Sydney’s centre, the Opera House & Sydney Bridge.

We passed two interesting looking properties which are currently unoccupied. Elizabeth gave information about the properties as well as the link to the walks website which shows the entire route.



Greycliffe House - The wealthy pastoralist and explorer John Reeve married WC Wentworth's daughter Fanny Katherine in 1847 then purchased 14 acres fronting Shark Beach from Wentworth in 1850. In 1852 the historic sandstone building, Greycliffe House, was built. It is one of the best-preserved examples of neo-gothic Victorian architecture in Sydney.

In 1887 Fitzwilliam Wentworth, the second son of WC Wentworth purchased the property from his sister
(Fanny) for £6,250.

In 1912 the property was resumed by the State Government and in 1914 it was adapted as the Lady Edeline Hospital for Babies. This lasted until 1934 when it became the Tresilian Mothercraft Training School, a use it had until 1968 when National Parks assumed control.



Strickland House

Strickland House has been many things in its long life. Designed in the Victorian Italianate style by architect John Hilly in the 19th century it was home to leading figures of Sydney's establishment. In the 20th century it was a women’s convalescent home and later an aged care facility. Now, its grounds and gardens welcome bushwalkers, history buffs, locals, beachgoers, boaties and photographers.



No walk is ever the same which makes it so interesting.

11th section added 13th November - To Rose Bay

https://www.heygo.com/tours/bondi-to-manly-sydney-coastal-walk-45-minutes-at-a-time


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement













Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb