FREEDOM after COVID...life is returning to my Aussie backyard.


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 20th 2020
Published: December 20th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Fires like the Apocalypse threatened my Aussie backyard from August 2019 to February 2020...the East Coast on fire like never before. Over 18 million hectares were burnt in the Australian bushfire season 2019–2020...all states affected. As of mid-January 2020 according to media reports, 5,900 buildings were destroyed including over 2,800 homes. In addition to 33 human fatalities including 9 f... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Red-winged Black CockatooRed-winged Black Cockatoo
Red-winged Black Cockatoo

Endangered Species

The track behind our placeThe track behind our place
The track behind our place

Part of the Great North Walk
Christmas CaveChristmas Cave
Christmas Cave

Where we had Christmas lunch when the kids were small


Spirit RockSpirit Rock
Spirit Rock

Our Aussie Backyard
We thought Oz was free of Covid....We thought Oz was free of Covid....
We thought Oz was free of Covid....

Then last week an infected USA arrival...and Sydney is in danger again!!!



21st December 2020

2020 Annus Horribilus
America is hopelessly divided, so everything is political, especially in an election year. 90% of Americans are complying with the CDC safety rules, but are pushing back against the lock downs, which apparently don't work but cause much harm to people and businesses. At least one of Trumps predictions came true with a vaccine available by the end of the year. So there is light at the end of the tunnel on the health front and hopefully the travel and other fronts. Linda and I will spend our first Christmas by ourselves in 38 years. Our daughter Tamara and family were to be with us, but upon returning to California they would have to self quarantined for two weeks. Since she is a teacher, she would miss teaching during those two weeks, so they had to cancel. Then last week her son, our grandson, Liam tested positive for Covid. They got tested again and tested negative, which was a relief! We intend to get the vaccine by April and travel to California for Will and Mercy's wedding, which they couldn't have last August due to Covid restriction, and to Scotland in June. I hope this time the trip is a go. I hope your travel plans work out even if it is to visit family. We wish you both a very Merry Christmas and a much, much better 2021 New Year!
23rd December 2020

2020 Annus Horribilus
We think of Linda & you at this time Bob and all our friends in USA and grieve for your country that is so "hopelessly divided" as you put it. With over 77 million Covid cases & over 1.7 million Covid deaths worldwide of which over 18 million of the Covid cases are in USA and over 319 thousand Covid deaths and over 115 thousand in hospital ...cannot imagine what it is like being in USA. What makes it doubly shocking is your President Trump continues to be narcissistically self-absorbed and exhibits flagrant disregard (or is it arrogant disregard) for the health of the populous. Will the vaccines help USA claw out of the abyss??? Our Australian governments put the people first with heavy financial stimuluses, economy second, a tough but delicate balance. Australia will recover but will USA?
22nd December 2020

Strange events of 2020
2020 was really an amazing year and strange things happened that we never imagined. The news of the fire in Australia and the death of koalas and animal species was really bitter and sad, and Quid 19 shocked the whole world. I hope the New Year is a good year full of peace for all the people of the world and we will no longer see the wrath of nature. Of course, this is on the condition that we are also kind to nature!
23rd December 2020

Strange events of 2020
Thank you for commenting Chechilas. A bitter and sad year for so many indeed. I appreciate your optimism for the future. We had birds of prey over our house today being chased by crows, their calls raising our gazes upwards and away from the worries of the World and whether we can be with family this Christmas thanks to that wretched Covid thing. I think you are right...we need to be kind to nature.
24th December 2020

Mother Nature is in charge!
Yes, you nicely summed it up Dave! No matter how much we brag about the advance in science and technology, a micro-nano virus has brought the humankind to its knees. And of course, I will be blunt, Trump in the U.S. has failed to do what a leader should do. He proved himself that he is not a leader, no matter how much he brags about pocketing 60 or 70 million votes. Enough of Donald Trump. What about the people in the US and and in my home country Canada who carry out anti-mask protests in the name of freedom? What about the freedom of the people who would be infected by these idiots not wearing masks. Frustrates me! I rather would listen to the kookaburras sitting quietly in your Aussie backyard than battling these naysayers. Some one in India once told me "After walking thousands of years opposite to Mother Nature what we gained today, we love to call that 'civilization' . I certainly hope year of 2020 should be our wake up call! Happy Holidays and all the best in the coming years, Dave!
24th December 2020

Mother Nature is in charge!
Mother Nature is in charge! - Well said Tab. I hope your Canadian border is clamped tight shut from those in US either trying to escape the virus or not caring if they bring it into your beautiful country. We in Oz can see so clearly how our governments' hard lockdowns can control & stop the virus transmission. We had our naysayers but our positive results are to those impossible to ignore and our populous now say restrictions when called are necessary and what we need to do. Our tracing procedures are incredibly effective but for those countries where the virus is out of control our tracers say "for them our tracing would not work as for them it is too late". The statistics in my blog are testament to how apathy or arrogance not only invites but encourages the virus to spread like a wildfire that is close to impossible to put out. Our son in Canada has confidence Canadians and their leaders have the mettle to pull through to ensure it is not too late. Best wishes to you and your family, Tab.
26th December 2020

Let's put 2020 behind us
Fires, COVID, isolation, masks and a changed world..... we will never return to normal but getting back to a sort of normal would be nice. You know how I feel about what happen here in the U.S. Your backyard is a great place to enjoy nature. Thanks for sharing some beautiful things. Trump still hasn't signed the recent stimulus bill but he is enjoying a round of golf.
31st December 2020

Let's put 2020 behind us
We have just returned from several days away so it is now New Years Day here. We listened to a 12 minutes of the Sounds of 2020. What a year it has been throughout the World...disaster after disaster. What a year to leave behind us. We are all hoping 2021 will be a sunrise of hope for better times. Here's hoping and thinking of if and when we can travel with you again.
1st January 2021
Water Dragon

Happy New Year
Happy New Year from us to you. /Ake
1st January 2021
Water Dragon

Happy New Year for 2021
Thank you and Happy New Year from my Aussie backyard and this Water Dragon to Ake & Emma in Sweden. Here's to you & hoping 2021 brings more optimism to this uncertain World.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb