Our itinerary (finally)- the photo is 14 years old but still magical...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » West Ryde
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrive Cairo 26th September 2008 - The Oasis Hotel.

Cairo Alex Desert Rd, PO Box 44 Pyramids 12556, Cairo, Egypt Tel: + 202 838 7333/7666

Tour starts 27th September 2008

Day 1: Cairo. Arrive at Cairo Airport. Our representative will meet and assist you. An arrival transfer is included to your hotel. Your pre departure meeting is at 6pm today to meet your tour leader and fellow travellers then this evening is free for you to relax or explore a little.

Cairo is the largest city in Africa with between 12 and 18 million inhabitants - nobody is sure, but there are quite a few. Driving is an experience, as it appears that Egyptian vehicle inspectors are fairly lenient and that the only roadworthy requirement on the cars is a workable horn, which must be continuously tested.

The city itself is fascinating. Apart from the rich history, there are good markets, restaurants, banks and even a metro (underground railway). In typical Egyptian style, there are no maps of the underground so you will have to ask the tourist police.

Day 2: Cairo. After breakfast, your guide will accompany you to the awe-inspiring Great Pyramids of
Cheops (Khufu), Chephren (Khafre) and Mycerinus (Menkaure) and you will see the Sphinx in Giza by camel ride. The pyramids are part of a huge mortuary temple complex whose purpose was to keep the Pharaohs alive in the afterlife. The Great Giza Pyramids are the only remaining wonder of the ancient world.

A trip to Cairo would be incomplete without a visit to these sacred sights. Though fairly busy with tourists all the sights are a must see.

Day 3: Cairo to Aswan. After breakfast, you will be taken on a guided tour of the Egyptian Museum. The museum houses more than 10,000 relics of ancient Egypt. There you can see the famous Tutankhamen Gallery and The Royal Mummies. The museum is home to millions of artefacts, mummies and reclaimed artworks alongside the extremely impressive Tutanhkamoun exhibition.

Then you will see Coptic Cairo, the Hanging Church, Islamic Cairo, the Saladin Citadel, the Mohammed Ali Mosque, the old Cairo bazaar (Khan El Khalili) and the El Fishawey coffee shop.

This evening we take the sleeper train (around 12 hours) up the Nile valley to Aswan. Over night board on the sleeper train.

Day 4: Aswan. On arrival into Aswan, you will be transferred from the train station to your hotel for some free time to relax or explore Aswan. In the afernoon you will be taken on a tour to the famous High Dam of Aswan. The High Dam was completed in 1971 and created Lake Nasser. The creation of the dam made it necessary to relocate several famous monuments. On the tour you will also visit the romantic Temple of Philae and the Unfinished Obelisk. The Philae Temple is a majestic Greco-Roman Egyptian temple dedicated to the goddess Isis, the goddess of love. Then in the evening you will go on a sunset felucca cruise to enjoy the Nile River in your traditional boat.

In Aswan the Nile is at its most beautiful, flowing through amber desert and granite rocks, round emerald islands covered in palm groves and tropical plants.

Day 5: Nile Cruise, Kom Ompo & Edfu (Optional Abu Simbel). For those that have chosen the Abu Simbel Optional you will have a very early start this morning. You can choose from either coach transport or a flight. Please note that it is advised that you request and book this in advance, prerably at the time of booking, as flights are subject to availability.

Not only are the two temples at Abu Simbel among the most magnificent monuments in the world but their removal and reconstruction was a historic event in itself. When the temples (280 km from Aswan) were threatened by submersion in Lake Nasser, due to the construction of the High Dam, the Egyptian Government secured the support of UNESCO and launched a world wide appeal. During the salvage operation which began in 1964 and continued until 1968, the two temples were dismantled and raised over 60 metres up the sandstone cliff where they had been built more than 3,000 years before.

For those that do not take the optional trip to Abu Simbel, there is a free morning. At about 1pm, we board our Nile Cruise ship. We take in the breathtaking scenery while cruising down the Nile, and visit Kom Ompo and Edfu Temples. At Edfu Temple you will learn the interesting history of this Greek built temple and explore the great hypostyle hall and famed falcons. Rejoining our ship, we continue our cruise passing through the Esna lock. Built by the British in the last century the lock was the first of many attempts made to tame the mighty Nile. From Esna we will continue to Luxor.

Please note that occasionally the cruise may run in reverse from Luxor to Aswan - in this case the itinerary will be amended accordingly. The cruise schedule is also subject to change.

Day 6: Nile Cruise Ship - Luxor. We arrive in Luxor in the early morning. After breakfast we start a tour of the East Bank of Luxor including a horse drawn carriage to the Luxor temple. We visit both the massive Karnak temple and historic Luxor temple. Karnak temple is actually a gigantic temple complex which is over 3500 years old and dedicated to the greatly powerful Ram Headed god Amun. Luxor temple is an important temple in that it was dedicated to 3 gods; Amun, his wife Mut and his son Khons.

In the evening we enjoy a sound and light show at the Karnak temple before returning to our cruise boat.

Day 7: Luxor. After breakfast we disembark our cruise ship ready to start a tour of the West Bank of Luxor including a donkey ride to the Valley of the Kings and visit to the Valley of the Queens. The tour starts with the world famous Valley of the Kings where you can enter some of the incredible tombs of the New Kingdom Pharoahs, like King Tutankhamun. Then we go to the Temple of Hatshepsut (Deir al-Bahri). This is the mortuary temple of the only Pharonic Queen of Egypt with very unusual architecture. And we finish with the great Colossi of Memnon, the last remains of Amenophis III's temple.

We stay overnight at a hotel in Luxor. The evening is free to relax and maybe venture out to the night markets.

Day 8: Hurghada. After breakfast, we travel by air-conditioned private bus joining the early morning convoy to Hurghada which is a resort on the Red Sea. This journey takes approximately 5 hours. The afternoon is free for you to relax on the beach, or try some of the many optional activities.

Hurghada was founded in the early 20th century and until a few years ago remained a small fishing village. Today it has become the foremost tourist resort of the Coast and an international center for aquatic sports. If it takes place in or on the water you can do it here; windsurfing, sailing, deep-sea fishing, swimming and above all diving or snorkelling. The unique underwater gardens offshore are some of the finest in the world, justifiably famous among divers. The warm waters here are ideal for many varieties of rare fish and coral reefs, which can also be observed through glass bottom boats. Hurghada is one of the biggest resort destinations on the Red Sea. It has a beautiful crescent shaped bay, rugged mountains and excellent beaches. The main attraction is a nearby coral reef-one of the finest in the world. Local dive centers accommodate both snorkelers and scuba divers. Just 5 km north of town is the Marine Museum. It has excellent marine life displayed so expect to spend at least 2 hours discovering the museum.

Day 9: Hurghada. After breakfast this morning we take a boat trip in the Red Sea, to snorkel. The rest of the day is free at leisure. In the evening you may like to enjoy the local cuisine in one of the many restaurants available.

Day 10: Hurghada. Today is free to do as you please. In Hurghada there are many options available. Snorkelling, swimming, sun-tanning, scuba diving and good food and drink.

Day 11: Hurghada to Cairo. The morning is free until we depart for Cairo at about midday. We travel by air conditioned private back to Cairo. The journey takes about 7 hours, but we have several stops along the way to break up the journey. Overnight in Cairo


Please note that there is an option to fly back to Cairo as opposed to going by road. Flights are subject to availability, and it is advised that if required, you prebook as early as possible to ensure seats. Prices and availability on request.

Day 12: Cairo. After breakfast today your Kumuka Adventure finishes and you will be transfered to the airport to take your memories with you on the flight home. (But not Holly and I - we're in Cairo for 8 days before heading to Sharm El Sheik)

Finishing Point: The Oasis Hotel 8th October 2008

8th October 2008 until 14th October - Shepheard Hotel, Cornishe El Nil St, Garden City, Cairo. Telephone - 202 792 1000

14th October 2008 until 22nd October - Marriott Beach Resort, Naama Bay, Sharm El Sheik, South Sinai. Telephone - 20 69 600 190

Fly home : ( OR : ) depending on how you look at it!




Advertisement



17th September 2008

Gosh it all sounds fascinating and romantic...I'm thinking Hercule Poirot and adventures. Not sure what you mean by the last line??? I can't wait to see the photos.
20th September 2008

Hercule Poirot
We have just downloaded the entire 1st and 2nd Poirot series. Lucky us. I will watch them, with Hannah, and we will think of you. Your itinerary looks FANTASTIC. I wish I were going along with you. Hannah and I are going to have a fabulous time in Adelaide while you are away (you'll wish you came here instead). I love you Jo. Hello sweet Holly, dear Brian ... and Hannah, I am SO looking forward to your visit. We will do stuff your mum has never done and go places she's not yet seen. I've got a camera you can use while you're here. See you soon sweetie. Love, Jen
26th September 2008

Hi Jen
Nice to see you ....Hi Jo and Holly...Your tour starts today and I'm wondering what you have been doing so far. I 'm imagining you taking in the sites and smells of Cairo and taking some fabulous photos. Hi Hannah and Brian...it's nearly your birthday Hannah...are you excited? Love you lots....Grandy Fran
27th September 2008

Well ......?????
I keep looking at your blog to get news of where you are, what you've done/are doing and to see PHOTOS and to find out what presents you've bought, and what do I find? Nothing. I am so looking forward to hearing about your trip, so you have a fan waiting with extreme expectation ... but hey .... no pressure. Hope your flight went well and was not too odious, and that you're enjoying your trip so far. Love you both. Dr. Jen and the hounds

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb