Day 8 - our first visit into Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
April 6th 2014
Published: April 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Colemans plus Chloe, headed off today for our first trip into the centre of Sydney.

A quick 5 minute trip down to the railway station and then we jumped on a train right into the middle of Sydney and the harbour front. At the weekends they have a great arrangement where you can travel anywhere in central Sydney, by train, boat or bus for $2.50 each which is about £1.50!!!

Once down at the quay side we jumped on one of the many ferry boats running across the harbour and then set out across the bay towards the famous Tarranga City Zoo.

Along the way we had the enevitable photo opportunity in front of the most iconic Sydney landmarks....as you can see from the photos.

By this time the clouds were looming again after a previous downpour (it is beginning to feel like we have imported a little bit of English weather on our trip, but we decided we were going to press on regardless and visit the Zoo, primarily to get our first glimpse of the kangaroos, koalas and crocs!

We arrived at 3pm and with the zoo closing at 5pm, embarked on a whistle stop tour of the zoo. This of course coincided with the onslaught of the rain, so first stop was to the shop to get ourselves some all over protection!!

The undoubted stars of the show were the Koala's and we were lucky enough to get to them just as feeding began and so saw them leaping from tree to tree which given they sleep for about 20 hours of the day was amazing. We also got up very close to the Roos and as close as we would ever want to get to with the crocs and alligators.

After that our luck ran out a little, because as the deluge continued we began to feel like all the rest of the animals had escaped as we toured the various empty enclosures. However despite this we all had great fun and we more or less closed the place down.

Chris and Rochelle kindly came and picked us up and we headed back to Chez Colfer after the boys briefly put Chris's 911 through its paces!!

In the evening we wandered down into Wahroonga and settled down to a wonderful meal at the local Japanese / Korean restuarant.

Another great day and our initially sortie into the harbour area left us keen to explore more when we arrive back from our next adventure.

More tomorrow as we set off towards the Barrier Reef and Port Douglas.



Thank you to all the family for the messages and comments, we have had great fun writing the blog so far and is lovely to hear your comments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb