As good a finish as it was to start with, goodbye New Zealand and already well into Oz.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
March 25th 2011
Published: March 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Tom's yummy birthday cakeTom's yummy birthday cakeTom's yummy birthday cake

Courtesy of Ailsa and Craig, thanks guys
So we last left you as we had just arrived in Wellington, our last stop on the North island, after a some what stressful journey. Little did we know our troubles with Dora were not over she still had a suprise or two in store for us, but I'll fill you in later on that one. Wellington was fab and as we have come to love about New Zealand (even though they are from Scotland) the hospitality that we recieved at Nigel and Ailsa's was fab, was so lovely being part of a wee family for a few days, chats over dinner, insider info about places to go and see, a wee break from Dora plus Tom was given a gorgous home made birthday cake and present as well which was so lovely and started off his birthday in a great way.
Wellington is a beautiful city and we managed to wander around a fair bit, eat lots of course and squeeze in a cinema trip and dinner for Tom's birthday-not quite the shin dig he'd maybe hoped for but knowing no-one in Wellington a knees up was out of the question! So after our few days in Wellington we hopped on the ferry and made our way to the South island where more real camping was too take place. Whilst we were in Rotorua on the North island we met a mad but lovely couple from Ipswich called Sasha and Olly (who were by the way very put out about the lack of mention in the last blog-opps, sorry guys!), so the South island was the scene of some intense stalking as Sasha and Olly and Tom and I made our way down the coast and bumped into each other at nearly every spot, we claim we were being stalked they claimed they were (the question is though who arrived in both Picton, Hokitika and Franz J first...)either way we had such fun with them the whole way down and it was great to have some company...not that we're sick of each other of course but a chat here and there with others is a bonus!
Our first night and first full day in the South island were def ones to remember as we headed to a campsite in the Rai Valley, notorious for rain rain rain and it didn't let us down. The rain came all afternoon and all night, so heavy and loud on wee Dora's roof that at times Tom and I couldn't hear each other talking, which I'm sure Tom was taking advantage of. So not much sleep was had as the rain clattered down relentlessly all night, waking to huge puddles/ponds at every door-wet feet was a must. So we thought the best thing to do is get packed up as quick as poss and get out of there to find some sun...Dora had other plans...engine on-nothing, tried again-nothing, of all the days for it to happen Dora decided today was the best time to have a faulty ignition (rain induced) and a completly dead battery...not the kind you can jump start either. So the rest of the day was spent scabbing lifts to the nearest phone, waiting for a recovery guy Bevan who turned up really quick and towed us to his workshop...a few hours later the rain finally dried up and Dora was good as new ready to go again, no idea of cost thoughm thank goodness for rentals! The excitment of the day wasn't too finish there though as we arrived in Nelson we drove past a hospital and after a number
Tom and Justin MarshallTom and Justin MarshallTom and Justin Marshall

One of the All Blacks great apparently
of weeks with no real relief Tom thought it was time to pop in and see if there was anything more sinister wrong with his ankle...thankfully not but the funniest story of our trip so far was soon to be part of his trip to A&E. After the doctor had examined Tom's xrays and confirmed that it was just a bad sprain, sorted him out with exercises and medication etc Tom was ready to go but the doctor wanted to discuss something else... "So your here today about something other than your foot I see" Tom replied 'nope just the foot mate' to which the doctor replied "your chart says you have an STI, a sexual Transmitted Infection that you want to discuss" Tom obviously a little confused responded again 'no no just the foot nothing else going on' the poor doctor who was only a few days into his job obviously thought Tom had suddenly become shy and unsure if he wanted to talk about it and started to reassure Tom that there was nothing for him to worry about and that he shouldnt be embarrassed to talk about STI's...this went on for several mintues with both men getting more and more confused about the situation, Tom thinking wheres this come from and the poor doctor thinking how am I gonna get this fella to talk to me. Anyway Tom finally convinced the doctor that he should go check if someone was winding him up as he was only new at the hospital, so after leaving Tom alone for a few minutes he returned sheepishly to announce that STI infact stood for Soft Tissue Injury...absolutly brilliant I couldnt start the car for ages through laughing my head off the poor guy must have been so embarrassed, fun times!
The next few days were gorgous but very uneventful blog wise, we headed up and around the coast to just south of Abel Tasman and checked out a few more beaches and even managed to camp right by the sea for a few nights which was incredible, cooking and eating within metres of the sea was so relaxing and complety beautiful. We then headed back to Nelson which was to be the scene of the Crusaders (Christchurch based rugby team) first game since the big earthquake, as the previous weeks game had been cancelled and this was now a pretty big
Tom and DanTom and DanTom and Dan

Is it just me or does Dan look like he cant be arsed!!
event tickets sold out fast and Nelson was a buzz with the excitement....mainly from Tom. Walking through town the afternoon of the game we bumped into Sonny Bill Williams having a coffee (the Crusaders newest player due to debut that day) so Tom stopped of for a chat and a photo...the first of many fame spots that day. So we headed off to the game already excited with his claim to fame but the night was to get even better as the Crusaders won the game, put on a good show for us, Tom got his rugby fix and then with hoards of little kids Tom waited around for some more photos and autographs after the game. So funny seeing all these little kids queing up and then Tom the big kid at the back-bless him, he was so chuffed though and met some pretty big names Dan Carter, Richie McCaw, Justin Marshall (old timer All black). So the night was a big success and I'm really glad we hung around to make sure we saw the match.
We carried on south and stopped in a few wee places on the way down to Franz Joseph one of New Zealands famous glaciers. Another wee car suprise along the way, which I'm still not over was the very annoying email from our rental company to say we (ok I!) had got a speeding ticket...not happy at all, racking up the never done before here in New Zealand with my first crash and now my fist speeding fine, not happy at all, esp as my planned lunch of a pie was denied me as we decided we'd spent enough money for one day paying off my fine-ggrr! Anyway onto Franz J, although it was great to catch up with Sasha and Olly again there were about a million other little visitors that we were less than impressed sharing our campsite with...sandflies everywhere and they were way worse than mosquitos, I got eaten alive-not fun. Our time there however was totally worth it when we did our amazing glacier walk up Franz J. It was so beautiful and very surreal but amazing to see plus we got some freebie tickets to hot pools to relax and rest our legs after the walk, this of course was not treat enough for us as the four of us decided a celebratory curry was called for as well!
Our next mammoth drive was to take us through yet more incredible scenery as we carried on down to Lake Haewa and our next stop with long lost family. Beverly who I mentioned in my last blog has been one of the main contacts for the newly found extension to the Morrell/Kernahan family out here in New Zealand and as it was going to be impossible for us to meet up with her in Christchurch we went to stay with her,her brother and his wife John and Jill for a few days. What an amazing family, so generous, chatty, hospitable and completly lovely we had such a great time in the most beautiful lake side house. It was again fabulous to be treated as part of the family and made to feel so welcome from the first second we were there, it has been so amazing and humbling to be treated so incredibly by relative strangers who we hope we will stay in touch with for a long time. Tom managed to get lots and lots of rugby chat in and even caught a few more games on telly which of course kept him happy. We also popped
Sasha and OllySasha and OllySasha and Olly

Our lovely travel buddies/talkers, Olly even looks a little scary in this one so I know who my moneys on as the real stalkers amoung us
into Lake Wanaka's A&P weekend which had stalls selling all sorts, competitions and shows of all kinds of animals, including the halarious Jack Russell race, needs to be seen to be believed-50 yappy little things going absolutly crazy...very random
Then onto Queentown where its safe to say we have been looking forward to ever since Mexico. All those months ago we met a guy from Scotland who said as soon as you get to New Zeland go straight to Queenstown and straight to Ferg Burger...yes ok so we were excited about a burger for 5 months I know how that sounds!!! Queenstown was to deliver in a great way though, we arrived, parked up and set out wee Dora, hellos to Sasha and Olly who were already there (prearranged meeting not weird stalker one!) and headed straight to the famous ferg burger. Queue's out the door are always a good sign a menu with 12 different types you really wanna try not so good. Anyway safe to say if your in New Zealand for 12 days or less look no further Ferg Burger is all you need for breakfast, lunch and dinner-AMAZING. Queenstown also gave us a few great nights, an evening of drinks and chats into the wee small hours with Olly and Sasha at the campsite, pub quiz night, although Tom was bitterly disappointed to miss out on a free pizza for second place and of course Paddy's day which was great. At times felt like there were more Irish people in Queenstown then there would be at home but it was a great day, bumping into all sorts including of course the usual "oh you went to school with so and so yeah I know them" in this case Mark Good you were the common link. A few more ferg burgers before we left and Queenstown was done and dusted and on to our last main stop Dunedin. Another rugby game had called us there so we had a chilled out day or two before the game and really enjoyed getting to see the Crusaders batter the Highlanders and of course the after game photo ops with lots of yummy men went down a treat too. We decided to make our journey to Christchurch a bit of a detour to try and see the beautiful Mount Cook, but the long way round for nothing as it was all cloudy the day we arrived so we missed out but had a good laugh on the way around anyway as we said goodbye to New Zealand, beautiful country amazing people and our wee Dora-it will all be missed.
A sad end was of course followed by an exciting new beginning as we enter into Chapter 3 and our adventure continues around Australia. It was so lovely to be met at the airport by Tom's cousin Matt and taken to what can only be described as one of the best spots in the city. Matt and Mel have kindly offered to put us up for a few weeks as we figure out Sydney and wait excitedly for Lucy to start our journey north. Where we are staying is incredible, not least its brilliant name of Woolloomooloo, right in the centre of the city-5 min walk from the main part of Sydney Harbour with the bridge, opera house and loads more, its amazing, walking distance from all the main eating and drinking spots and so so much to keep us entertained over the coming weeks. Great to catch up with Matt and Mel and finally get to sample a piece of
Ferg burgerFerg burgerFerg burger

AMAZING doesnt cut it, you must go to Queensland just for this!
the lifestyle we've heard so much about since Matt moved over-easy to see why so many people get hooked, its brilliant. We've had mainly great weather, great company, managed to squeeze in one of Matt's gigs with BhangLassi, a weekend away in the Blue mountains(which included our first Aussie BBQ thanks to Matt, Frosty and Michelle,our first involvement in earth hour and the most ridiculously scary almost vertical train journey through the mountains, safe to say I was pretty much crying throughout much to everyone else's amusement), days at beautiful beaches, feeding my new found love of Shushi (thanks Michelle Hill, I'm completly in love thanks to you, although still not the proper stuff...just prawns and chicken, does that still count?!?), boat trip to Manly, a wee museum trip (which dont usually go down to well with Tom and I but it was all about the convicts from Ireland and England who were sent here and was pretty good, got to dress up so I was set), sunsets by the Harbour and probably loads more.
Things are all starting to fall into place for Lucy's trip over and we couldn't be more excited, campervan booked and just over a week to wait which is amazing, cant believe its actually happening-brilliant just wish she could fill her bag with one or two little extra's like one or two the beautiful wee boys who are all being born while I'm away, more welcome to the worlds for wee Matthew, another Issac and Kai. Missing so many people and trying really hard not to be too home sick but please know that we're thinking of you all. Still loving it all though and I promise I'm not wishing my time away with homesickness just think of home lots and wish we could share some of these experiences with more of you. Anyway hope your all well, Tom's out making a penny or two today up a ladder somwhere while I get to chill out and waffle away to you lot...its a hard life I know. Think Tom's first day of work yesterday was a shock to the system but he only has another couple which is great money wise and wont take up too much of our exploring time either which is fab. Anyway prob wont be on again until we've had our two weeks with Lucy so no doubt there will be
Toms Paddies day get upToms Paddies day get upToms Paddies day get up

Not so sure he looks to impressed
plenty to keep you entertained next time round x


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A little happier nowA little happier now
A little happier now

Just needed a Guinness to finish the look
Me and some random punterMe and some random punter
Me and some random punter

You gotta love an Irish weirdo...and thats just me!
At the Convict museumAt the Convict museum
At the Convict museum

Tom wasn't too impressed when I insisted the snug/painful fitting chains went fully on for the photo!
Clothes from the Irish Section of the museumClothes from the Irish Section of the museum
Clothes from the Irish Section of the museum

Loving a wee bit of old style fancy dress-as did my Chinese tourist audience...


5th April 2011

lucky pair of c***s
Alrite u 2 hope your ok look like u are,can't believe u meet the all black players. You 2 look really good in your pics looks like your avin a really good time, av u bin gettin the pics of evie av bin sending u she's growing up 2 fast.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb